We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec City worth the trip & Montreal stay.

Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec City worth the trip & Montreal stay.

My wife and I are in Montreal for 4 nights in late July. We do not have a car. Is it worth the trip to QC? How long via train? Any other suggestions for Things to do in Montreal as far as dinner, nightlife and a massage. We are staying a close to jean talon market in Little Italy.

Pub Crawl MTL
Night Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Le 4e Mur
Blues Clubs & Bars, Piano Bars
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec City worth the trip & Montreal stay.

Absolutely go to Quebec City for a couple of days! It is a 2 hour drive from Montreal but others will have to suggest ways to get there if you don't have a car. Quebec City is beautiful and highly worthwhile if you've never been before. You can walk all around the old area of QC and not need a car.

As for Montreal, spend some time in Old Montreal, Old Port, maybe take a quick boat tour, shopping on Rue Ste Catherine, etc.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec City worth the trip & Montreal stay.

You could take the train or the bus the Québec (3hr each way) and spend 1 night... 2 days to see it.

In Montréal, nightlife is around Crescent Street area (downtown) or St-Laurent boul. (Between Sherbrooke and Mont-Royal) or St-Denis Steet (Between De Maisonneuve St and up to Laurier St/Metro.. a few bars)

http://www.nightlife.ca/directory/club

For massages: http://www.bing.com/entities/search?q=spa+montreal&filters=segment%3a%22local%22&qpvt=spa+montreal&FORM=LARE

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec City worth the trip & Montreal stay.

While I agree with the others and highly recommend you go to Quebec City, I also agree that you should stay at least one night to see the old city and stay there.. A day trip to Quebec City and back is indeed a long day, with little time to see much, so unless you are coming back and can at least spend a night, then I wouldn't do it.

JDP

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,983 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec City worth the trip & Montreal stay.

Bus:

http://www.orleansexpress.com/Search.aspx

Train:

http://www.viarail.ca/

Both are currently running special fares. It takes about 3 hours.

Edited: 13 July 2013, 13:05
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec City worth the trip & Montreal stay.

Thanks all. We already have an apartment rented in Montreal, so we wouldn't be able to stay the night in QC. I will check out the web sites above. Any other input on Montreal musts that aren't complete touristy? Also I speak very little French, meaning none, I read that it shouldn't be a problem. I will have my app and do my best, but to say I am phonetically challenged w languages would be an understatement.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec City worth the trip & Montreal stay.

You should have no problems speaking, though respect the culture and a polite "bonjour" and "merci" don't hurt.

Enjoy!

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,445 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quebec City worth the trip & Montreal stay.

Take the bus, the journey is about 10 minutes more than by train and, by the way driving gtom Mtl to Qc by car is more like 3 hours than 2.

I usualoy do a spiel about how much better the Canadian trains are compared to the US so you can hitch on one without problem. In Montréal departures are every hour on the hour from 6 am to midnight. From Québec City from 5h30 am to 10h30 pm. You just have to show up 30 minutes before departure and no ticket reservation is necessary. but for the last bus leaving from Qc you should be at the gate a good 45 minutes before departure as the government has relieved the company of it's obligation of pulling out a new bus if the first was full. So be in line early.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quebec City worth the trip & Montreal stay.

Yeah language shouldn't be an issue. It wasn't a problem for me in either QC or Montreal. I was in a couple of smaller towns and there's definitely less people who speak English, but you'll be fine in all the big cities.

Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quebec City worth the trip & Montreal stay.

Thanks everyone. If we do the trip to QC it will be a day trip, we will see how it goes. -merci

10. Re: Quebec City worth the trip & Montreal stay.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 05:19