We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip report Montreal

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
720 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
First trip report Montreal

As promised here is the first installment on our trip. We arrived right on time and moved quickly through customs but even so it took an hour to get to our hotel, leaving us with only ten minutes to spare before the fireworks were to start. We ever so briefly oowed and ahhed at how nice our hotel was(nelligan). Threw down our bags and walked to the river following the crowds. We were rewarded with great fireworks. We returned home to unpack and crashed by midnight. Awoke to a pleasant warm day instead of the promised rain. Breakfasted in the hotel and headed out to the information place to get our museum/transit passes. They were $80/ a piece but as the transportation and attractions we wanted to see would be much more individually it was worth it for us. Once in hand we took the metro to the Olympic park and went up the tower for great views of the city. Next we went to the new planetarium. There was some confusion regarding the times for the English version if the show but we decided to just go to the French show Continuum. Well it hardly mattered as there were no words! Enjoyed it a lot. The next show was the one where it mattered and we weren't planning to go to that as we have our own live in astronomer. We grabbed a snack in the cafeteria. The biosphere followed. The penguins were our favorite. Four different climates were well represented. We then walked across the park to the gardens. We were blown away by the amazing sculptures. We had never seen such creations! Spectacular! And lots of them. We ran out of energy before we could see everything. I'd wished we'd gone their first thing. We returned home proud of ourselves for negotiating the metro, and very tired. After a nap we readied ourselves for a blow out dinner at Europa. We had a bus completely all to ourselves. Our hotel was very close to the 715 line which went most of the places we needed to go. The meal lasted over three hours and was quite the show. We counted 12 extra courses. The fish dishes were the best. We thought many were not as well spiced as we liked but it was worth the price for the experience. They kindly accommodated my vegetarianism. Just a little bland to us. Desserts were delicious. Cheese, macaroons, choc pops, fresh hot Madelines, smoothies-yum. We waddled home glad for the mile and a half walk! Very lovely first day! Montreal is a very pretty city.

We woke too early to meet our guide Nadia at central information. We walked all though downtown. Wandered through the underground malls which go on for over 20 miles. Saw the insides of several beautiful banks. The World Trade Center is not to be missed, (my next wedding will be there) St. Patrick's basilica, learned the difference between a cathedral and a basilica, Notre Dame, old town squares. Picked up our tickets for the light and sound show. All very interesting and fun. Our guide was pleasant, and informative. Very ready for a break, we lunched on the terrace of the Pointe-a-Calliere museum. Lovely view and good food. Great place for lunch! Rain came down hard forcing us to finish inside. The museum has an exhibit of tea, history of Montreal, and the Beatles. The building itself was very cool. Lovely way to spend a rainy afternoon! We had planned a boat ride next but bailed out for some of us to rest. Jacob to the gym. Only two days into the trip we have eaten way to much. Tonight we planned to eat at the hotel restaurant Verses and then walk around the old town looking for action ! So far we are all in agreement that this is a good place to visit. Tomorrow mcgill, and art.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,047 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip report Montreal

Thank you very much for your TR. Hope to read the other chapters soon.

I was not feeling very positive about Mosaïcultures in the Botanical Garden but all the pictures and reviews were great. I still think that it is too higher priced for tourists that usually spend only a few hours at the Gardens and won't use the second day option. You can always give your second day tickets to the concierge in your hotel when leaving...

Well this do not apply for you DrjessB as you have the museum and transit package and plan on using it quite a lot.

I don't remember how long you will be in the city but if you are still on these shores on Wednesday then you could walk to my suggested spot east of the Jacques-Cartier Bridge for the second but last fireworks show. You could also want to splurge on bleachers at La Ronde or sit on the hill close to the entrance and leading to the bridge.

You also mentioned art on the program soon then I must warn you that the Musée d'Art Contemporain ia quite small and doesn’t always show first class exhibits. They can be re a bit esoteric. Well if you have the museum pas then it can be really good for you.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
720 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip report Montreal

Alas I move on to Quebec City Wednesday afternoon! But do not miss the gardens. My family went with me just to indulge my enjoyment and they think its the best thing we've seen. It's unlike anything you have ever seen. It is exspensive but there is a half price coupon in the Pom book.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 22:27
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip report Montreal

Great report so far. Looking forward to more, especially aboutQuebec City and Ile d'Orleans!

JDP

4. Re: First trip report Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 06:18