We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trans Canadian Highway

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Trans Canadian Highway

Google Maps is giving me a couple of options on driving from Buffalo to Moncton; one way is over to Boston and up the east coast on I-95 through Maine into Saint Stephen and then up to Moncton while the other would go through Montreal, Quebec City and then over to Moncton. The southern route is only shown as being 50 miles shorter.

Anyone have a recommendation and/or suggestion on either route?

TIA

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trans Canadian Highway

I am willing to bet that very few people in Quebec have driven from buffalo to Moncton why don't you try the buffalo or Moncton forums ?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,337 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trans Canadian Highway

I see you have posted this question in a number of forums, which means you'll likely get any number of the same answers.

Neither route is better or worse ... just lots of freeway driving. The Trans-Canada is a separated highway - much like an interstate. The advantage of the US route is that your gas will be cheaper, as gas prices in Canada are higher. I suppose you could do one route going and the other returning - for a change of scenery.

You could take secondary highways through Vermont, NH and Maine that might be more scenic, but they would take longer. Depends on whether the getting there is as important a part of the journey as the destination.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trans Canadian Highway

Anyways the trip through the US will be a little more scenic than the one 0n Highway 401 in Ontario and either Highway 20 or 40 in Québec, all the way to Québec City is set in the dull Plain of Saint-Lawrence. Of course if you have time you could experience Montréal and Québec City as interesting stops on your way.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trans Canadian Highway

Thanks for the responses. This is exactly the type of insight I was seeking.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trans Canadian Highway

Unless you are going to include a few days in Montreal and/or Quebec city the Highway401 and subsequent highway 20 in Quebec are some of the most mind numbily boring roads i;ve ever encountered, i'd do the Stateside route and also save much on the price of gas.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,163 posts
775 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trans Canadian Highway

Not to mention, driving through Montreal is challenging to say the least....unless seeing the city, I'd avoid for sure....

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,337 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trans Canadian Highway

Don't have to drive "through" Montreal anymore - Hwy 30 bypasses it completely...

Manchester, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trans Canadian Highway

I would recommend going though Canada. I-95 outside of Boston is a/k/a Rt. 128 and is a very congested with commuter traffic. Also, going through northern Maine is a whole lot of nothin'. I think the Trans Canadian Highway would be much more scenic.

9. Re: Trans Canadian Highway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2013, 16:15
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,337 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trans Canadian Highway

abuelo13 - the OP would probably take I90 & I81 to Gananoque crossing, then along 401/20 to past Montreal, where the 20 joins/ becomes the Trans-Canada - and continue east and south to Moncton. That is the Google route he is referencing. No one is claiming the 401 is the TCH.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 22:53