We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route #173 to U.S. border

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
16 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Route #173 to U.S. border

We travelled along Route 173 as we journeyed from Quebec City to United States border with the goal of reaching Bangor, Maine.

We got near the border and Dave concluded that we were to detour. There were pylons across the highway on the right side of the road. Although there were no signs indicating a detour, Dave did not hesitate to take a detour. He said we had no choice but to take the road through the woods. I questioned the decision, stating that it did not seem very clear. Thus we continued on the unpaved road through the dense woods. On and on we drove! I declared: “I can’t imagine that this is a detour without signs to assure us that we are on the correct road.” After going a fairly long distance, Dave stopped the car and suggested that I get out and ask the guy near a big gravel truck if this was the road for the detour. The guy looked like he was from South America; he spoke little English. I tried to get some assurance from him that we were on the correct road for the detour. I seem to understand from him that we should go back.

It wasn’t far from this inquiry that we were compelled to turn around. We reached the dead end of the road with a barrier gate across it. Back we went, driving over a dusty gravelled road . Two dump trucks met us. Thankfully, we did not get a gravel stone thrown at our windshield.

Finally, we got back on the highway. I could see the Border complex of buildings in the distance.

The pylons on the right demanded that we swing to the left side of the road and go a short distance then get back on the right of the highway.

Dave was obviously shaken up by the detour experience. When we got to the Border buildings, directions were not clear as to which lane we were to enter.

The detour through the woods gave feelings of anxiety, fear and uncertainty.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route #173 to U.S. border

Seems like this Dave person has a common sense deficiency.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route #173 to U.S. border

You really have to pay attention with all detours, at the best of times they are not well marked, at the worst of times you end up at a dead end barrier...

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
16 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route #173 to U.S. border

The point at issue is the lack of clarity. I learned that there was indeed a sign that David noticed; it was an arrow sign pointing to the right and the only road to the right was the road we took. The situation brought confusion as was experienced. The character of the gravel road stirred my doubts. In a Province where there are no English signs the traveller can be left in confusion. This time there was just an arrow sign!

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
601 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route #173 to U.S. border

When I travel let s say in Germany usually signs are in German, In the US english, Québec official language is french so accordingly signs are in french...

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
16 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route #173 to U.S. border

Thank you! I am aware of that! There were no "word' directions just an arrow that my husband saw. It is history now; I am sure we have something to learn from the experience. We won't take that route again from Quebec City to U.S.

Quebec City
Level Contributor
619 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route #173 to U.S. border

Well, I'm a bit confused as to what happened to you there, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I've driven that road a few times to the US, though, and it is pretty straight forward. I wonder what the arrow sign you saw was. When there is a detour, although the subsequent turns are not always well marked, the first sign always says detour (which is the same in French).

As for the border control, it is a small crossing, few people cross there. I never noticed lack of signage, I would just go where the light was green.

I hope your future travels across our province will be less eventful!

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
16 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route #173 to U.S. border

Despite the adventure at Route #173 to U.S. border, we had a marvelous visit in Old Quebec, a favorite place of mine! We found a hotel we had not booked in advance that was perfectly located and with a view. We have good memories. Thank you for your response.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route #173 to U.S. border

Classic thread in the making....

9. Re: Route #173 to U.S. border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 07:18