We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Massif de Charlevoix

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
443 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Le Massif de Charlevoix

Hi,

I have a quick question. We are going to Quebec in February and have decided to spend 1 day skiing in Le Massif, however, the opening hours seem really short - 9am to 4pm. Do they really have no lit trails or skiing after dark? Just want to make sure I got it right.

Thanks!

England, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Le Massif de Charlevoix

Hi, can I break into this thread and ask advice on Le Massif? I am on business in Canada finishing up in Quebec City on a Friday in Late February 2014. I think I can "steal" a weekend ski before I fly back to the UK on the Monday. I have skied Tremblant (Disney) and Whistler and Lake Louise and several resorts in the USA and many, many resorts in the Alps - so you get the picture. My thoughts are directed to Le Massif and I wonder if anyone can comment and/or suggest how to get there from Quebec City. All I want is some useful slopes, no beginners and a few good drinks at the end of the day - and not too difficult travel between the resort and Quebec/Montreal. Thanks for any thoughts you may have....

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Le Massif de Charlevoix

There is a shuttle bus service lemassif.com/en/planifier/serendre#_navettes between QCity & Le Massif, but it comes back a bit early if you wish to have a few drinks on the premises at the end of the day. Maybe you could email them and ask if it is possible to take the shuttle bus on day 1 from Québec City, sleep at the resort or in the quaint little town of Baie-St-Paul (several B&Bs, inns and restaurants, and a fabulous microbrewery) and return on day 2 at 4 pm? It would give you 2 days of skiing and hassle-free transportation. Québec City -> Montreal is easily done by bus (departures every hour until late evening) http://www.orleansexpress.com ; the train http://ww.viarail.ca offers a less flexible schedule. Both the bus and train leave from the same location in Lower Town http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_du_Palais

According to the 1st link in the present post, you could also try carpooling as you find out by clicking on the carpool tab.

You could also ski at Mont-Ste-Anne, sleep one night there and catch the next morning bus to Le Massif - the cost is only $5. then.

Edited: 08 January 2014, 22:10
England, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Le Massif de Charlevoix

That's very helpful - staying at the resort would have been my first preference. Am I right in thinking the bus journey takes about an hour? I will also investigate the carpool idea in case there is chance to get there on Friday night and come back after 4.00 pm on the Sunday. Thanks again...

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Le Massif de Charlevoix

@Traveler_Liene: You can easily find free parking in Baie-Saint-Paul. It's more of a village than a city. There are many excellent places to eat. Among them i would recommend Le Mouton Noir. Great inventive menu, beautiful setting, excellent service. Reservations are recommended, though you could try a walk-in...

England, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Le Massif de Charlevoix

Any thoughts on where to stay - or where to avoid? I am not into 5 star - warm bed and cold beer is what I would rate highly after a day on the slopes. Thanks for this info...

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Le Massif de Charlevoix

Here's the direct link to the Ministry of Tourism website for Charlevoix right on the page for accomodations (right hand box). Just click hôtels or B&B and almost all the accomodations located for Baie-Saint-Paul will be reacheable.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Le Massif de Charlevoix

Auberge La Muse tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g316031-d108321… , bang in the middle of Baie-St-Paul and only a few yards from the best place to enjoy local (microbrewery) beers, the St-Pub tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g316031-d1… . I suggest you give a try to their Dominus Vobiscum double, it could withstand a competition with Belgian beers anytime.

Restaurants: Le Mouton Noir indeed. Also Les Labours tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g316031-d3… or the more casual Joe Smoked Meat. Or Café des Artistes tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g316031-d2… on the main street.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Le Massif de Charlevoix

Oh and about the journey time to Le Massif - in a car it actually takes 1 hour from QCity, with fair weather. In a bus maybe a tad more since the shuttle stops at 3 places altogether.

England, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Le Massif de Charlevoix

I hope to stay at Baie St Paul and ski at Le Massif Feb 22/23 but cannot find any ski rental shops in Baie St Paul. Is the only rental shop the one on the mountain? I have heard terrible stories about queues and time wasted at this shop so I am keen to hire skis and get on to the slopes direct from the shuttle. Can anyone say if there is a chance of a ski rental in Baie St Paul?

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Le Massif de Charlevoix

Liene from Philly...it is about time that you have moved beyond the poconos. night skiing is the exception and not the rule in most large ski resorts. night skiing is common only in smaller local ski hills, everything in Pa fits into that catagory. one top to bottom run at Massif exceeds 4 top to bottom runs at Big Boulder If you start in the morning, you will run out of energy before you run out of daylight.