We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AML Grand River Cruises-2 Days-Montreal to Quebec City

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
AML Grand River Cruises-2 Days-Montreal to Quebec City

Has anyone gone on this 2 day trip? See below. Thinking of doing a long weekend with 9-10 family members in Montreal in mid-late August, 2014 and wondering if this might be a nice way to spend 2 days-cruise to Quebec City and bus (or rail if available) back. Thanks!

Grand River Cruises Montreal - Quebec

Pier: King-Edward

Duration: 2 days

Period:

July 7 to August 18, 2014 Cruise aboard the: CAVALIER MAXIM

Meals aboard included, entertainment and activites;

Overnight stay at the renowned Fairmont Le Château Frontenac or Hilton Quebec;

Free time in the evening;

Return trip to Montreal by coach.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,011 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AML Grand River Cruises-2 Days-Montreal to Quebec City

I haven't done it but my mother did.

Impression: dullish

Do not forget that all the way from Montréal to Québec City you will be in the flat Plain of Saint-Lawrence. There is more to see by boat than on the road or on the train but it is also much slower.

Return is included only by bus, not train. Which can be a good thing actually.since the last train departure is quite early while by bus you can return until 10h30 pm on your second day.

My mother doesn't really remember that part since she was with a group tour so they might have had a chartered bus and not the regular Orléans Express.

If you have kids with you it might be better to go directly to Québec City by train or bus and spend more time in the city.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AML Grand River Cruises-2 Days-Montreal to Quebec City

Thanks for your reply RickB. Everyone will be 21 and over-no young kids. So you think this will be a bit boring for the age group 21-56? It's quite expensive-my immediate family of 4 will cost about $1800 (including the 15% tax) for a 2-day trip which will include only 2 meals. That being said, if we have 4 nights to spend in the Montreal-Quebec City area and we'll have cars (driving from Cleveland Ohio) can you suggest a good itinerary? We'd like to do a boat strip on the St. Lawrence, don't particularly like museums but love castles, cobblestone streets, old history, music, theater, Segway and other mobile tours. Should we do 2 nights in Montreal and 2 in Quebec City? Thanks in advance!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,011 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AML Grand River Cruises-2 Days-Montreal to Quebec City

Definetely 2 and 2 but remember again that you will be in the Plain of Saint-Lawrence all the way, in fact all the way from Niagara Falls. The beautiful scenery just starts in Québec City and then northeast in the Charlevoix area. Well in Québec city you could go in the countryside to visit Orléans Island and Montmorency Falls but the nature around will be quaint there but awsome.

If you are driving you are pretty pretty far coming all the way from Cleveland will be a 9 hours drive. Castle and cruises can be had by a cruise in the Thousand Islands with the visit of Bolt Castle. Usuallly boats départs from Guananoque in Canada but I have heard that there are departure from the US side too.

From Montréal you can take all find of water tours all the round od the city. Your best bet will be the shuttle to Notre-Dame Island and Longueul. That is really enough but if you happen to be in a day of "action" for the International fireworxs competition Les Grands Feux Loto Québec then you could take a dinner cruise on the bateau mouche for this attraction and have a nice dinner on board.

The best and cheapest though is to just take the ferry to Lévis in the Old Port, less than an hour afterswar.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AML Grand River Cruises-2 Days-Montreal to Quebec City

You've really got me interested in the Thousand Islands. It's a much more reasonable drive for a long weekend for my immediate family as well as family who will be joining us from Boston. Is it better to stay in the US or Canada side? Can you suggest lodging?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,123 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AML Grand River Cruises-2 Days-Montreal to Quebec City

>>"Guananoque in Canada"<<

That would be Gananoque.

http://www.ganboatline.com/

Best Regards

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,011 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AML Grand River Cruises-2 Days-Montreal to Quebec City

Sorry I was too sleepy when I wrote my last reply which is full of mispelling and fuzzy writing. I went to bed for a nap right after! lol

Note that the Tousand Islands are in the Province of Ontario and in New York State so if you want more information, like the possibility of doing a cruise from the US side, please post your query on the appropriate pages.

Anyways you will have the nice and historical city of Kingston to visit on the Canadian side and there is a nice drive between both.

Kingston is around 3 hours drive to Montréal if you decide to come all the way here but Québec City will add 3 more so a bit difficult within 4 days.

You could also choose to return to Cleveland by the Province of Ontarion till Niagara Falls and make a stop in Toronto to visit Casa Loma.

Finally if you haven't been there already Niagara-on-the-Lake is one of the quaintest town in Canada.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AML Grand River Cruises-2 Days-Montreal to Quebec City

Thanks, RickB. I'm going to post a few questions on the forum for 1000 Islands. I appreciate your suggestions!

8. Re: AML Grand River Cruises-2 Days-Montreal to Quebec City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:18