We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US to CDN Dollar exchange rate

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
US to CDN Dollar exchange rate

I'm dismayed to see how the exchange rate between US and Canadian dollar has become nearly 1:1 since making our vacation plans several months ago. What is suggested for getting the best rate of exchange? Many say just to use credit cards, which would certainly be most convenient. If so, we should still have some cash available: what's the most economical way to buy Canadian dollars?

Any other advice for saving funds while still enjoying all Montreal has to offer?

Thanks for the tips.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US to CDN Dollar exchange rate

pacifico

For payment options, you'll want to read the section Canada For Foreign Visitors, Banks & Money in tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155032-s1/Montreal:Q…

proud montrealais
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: US to CDN Dollar exchange rate

Outside of my bank I find I usually get the best rate from currency traders outside the downtown area. Chinatown (adjacent to downtown) is usually a good bet - they're close and they're cheap. Look for jewelry stores - there's a bunch on St-Laurent and La Gauchetiere. Don't let the grunginess fool you - most of the stuff you see is 24K (what most Chinese people favor - pure gold, white gold, and platinum).

bethesda, md
Level Contributor
35 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US to CDN Dollar exchange rate

Most credit cards are now adding a 3% fee to all currency changes. I have a Bank of America debit card that let's me use ATMs at Scotia Bank without an ATM charge and has a 1% exchange fee. If anyone knows of a better deal, I am interested because we leave July 1 for 6 weeks in Canada.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
380 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US to CDN Dollar exchange rate

My Discover Card does not charge for currency conversion, although I'm told that it's not widely accepted in Canada. Also, I have noticed that Capital One advertises that they don't charge a fee either.

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US to CDN Dollar exchange rate

Capital One does NOT charge any fees.

If you are going to use any cards, notify your bank and credit card company that you'll be out of the country. WIll aavoid any "security lock outs" if your bank uses that for security. We had to call our home bank to open the locked accoutn. Do it ahead and avoid wasting time.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: US to CDN Dollar exchange rate

I was dismayed when the Canadian dollar was worth less than 70 cents on the US dollar.

7. Re: US to CDN Dollar exchange rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 10:19