We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to montreal

cleveland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
first time to montreal

first trip for husband and i- looking at staying at marriott chateau champlain- is this good location, close to dining, shopping and is it nice hotel? also, looking for must see's in the city for a 3 day trip

thank you!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to montreal

I haven't stayed at the Chateau Champlain for a while but would assume it is nice as a Marriott. It is in an excellent location.

Some must see/do things for me:

Museum of Fine Arts on Sherbrooke West - fantastic art gallery.

Pointe a Calliere Museum in the old port - a fascinating look at the history of montreal, with a genuine archaeological site.

The old port and the old city - allow a least a day to stroll. Beautiful streets, many fantastic shops, great food, gorgeous buildings.

Biodome - live animals in a recreated natural setting, all indoors.

Eating! - Montreal has many fantastic restaurants.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to montreal

It is right downtown with access to the metro, close to train station and steps away to st catherine street, shopping and the bars/clubs of crescent st.

I stayed there in the fall, it is a good hotel, but some of the rooms are a little frayed around the edges.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
380 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to montreal

Stayed there in July. Thought the location was perfect (about equal walking distance to museums (fine art, McCord, Ridpath) and Old Montreal. The immediate area was quiet at night, which was good as we were with our children. Hotel was clean and nice (not luxury).

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to montreal

Check out Loews/Hotel Vogue on de la Montagne and Sofitel on Sherbrooke St.near Stanley.

5. Re: first time to montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 14:19