We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advantage Rent a Car - Montreal -Do not make the same...

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
advantage Rent a Car - Montreal -Do not make the same...

I had had the worst experience ever, renting a car in the downtown of montreal rental office of Advantage Rent a Car, the service was awful, actually a kind of violent, the owner of the office forced me to add insurance, shouting and intimidating me with his big stature (all this in front of my wife).

He charged me whatever he wanted, despite I had a reservation made via www.arac.com with other rates.

and then he gave me an old car, with a non working A/C (it was 30C / 94F during that week in Quebec), totally dirty, the brakes do not work fine and the front window broken...you are thinking, why I did not go to other place??, it is not that easy: the guy had already my credit card, he charged as well, and it was noon in Montreal and I have to be in the Laurentides by 2pm, it was the middle of nowhere and there was not close other rental agencies.

Alex

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: advantage Rent a Car - Montreal -Do not make the same...

I presume you are telling us this because you received a recommendation on this forum to rent from this company? That is good, because we need feedback when bad advice is given.

I also presume that you have taken up the matter with Advantage headquarters in Texas, and have received no satisfaction? In which case, we might well be advised to avoid Advantage everywhere they operate.

Rhode Island, U.S.A.
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: advantage Rent a Car - Montreal -Do not make the same...

We have all at one time or the other been in a bad spot and had to "just bear it" due to our circumstance. Not all subsidiaries, associates or partners are aware of the business practices of other offices unless someone makes them aware of it. If, however, you get nowhere with the corporate office, you can always goes to the next higher step, as all businesses are regulated by the state they reside in. There is recourse to bad business practice/tactics by contacting the: DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS REULATIONS for the City-Town AND state that the corporate office is located in. Ask to speak to the clerk, tell the problem to them and they can direct you to the correct office to file a complaint, someotimes while on line with them and no paper being sent from you at all. You can also call the "Consumer Protection Unit" where you live (located in the phone book or through 411 information or operator assistance in your own town/city and they can also help and direct you to getting some sort of recourse that is more to your liking. Regardless of who was with you, this person had no right to belittle or demean you or intimidate you into any sort of contract and it is usually a matter of knowing who or where to turn for help in putting an end to this type of poor business conduct so you the next time nor anyone else, has to sustain the ingnorance of someone else thinking it is OK to push someone around just to get the end result that one wants. I hope this is of help to you and anyone else who may fall prey to this tactic and be armed with the information ahead of time and let them know you plan on turning them in. What a difference in attitude they normally end up with from that point on. Knowledge is power for all people and we need to stick together to help one another. Best of luck to you in your resolve of this issue and future ones.