We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal for New Years -

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Montreal for New Years -

My husband and I are considering coming to Montreal from December 26 through Jan 3. We will be there for New Years, but are specifically coming to party, just to see the beautiful city.

We are from California so we're slightly concerned about the cold, but hope that if it's cold, there will be snow EVERYWHERE (have to make it worth it right?) Will there be snow on the ground, for certain, at the end of December?

What area would be best to stay in? And is there enough to do for 8 days?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal for New Years -

First as a native Californian myself, predominately Salinas/Monterey, but also Berkeley, a belated welcome to the forum.

As for weather, yes it might be a bit of a shock to your system, so dress in layers. I can't guarantee snow by then, but yes there is a very good chance of it.

As for where to stay, Old Montreal would be my suggestion. Cobblestone sidewalks, old streets and buildings, plenty to see and do, and some terrific restaurants. Auberge Bonaparte, Saint Sulpice, Auberge du Vieux-Port, Hotel Nelligan, to name just a few are all worth looking into. some have great restaurants attached or near by, some don't. Check out the reviews here.

Is there plenty to do? Yes!! Coming from SF, and if you are foodies, this is thr place. Eat French, Italian, Asian, Quebecois, you name it. Shopping is also terrific. Wonderful museums. You name it, you can do it here.

If you want to split it up somewhat, take the train to Quebec city for a few days. Only 150 miles away, yet many think it is the closest thing to Europe without being there.

Whatever you do, enjoy!!!

JDP

2. Re: Montreal for New Years -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 21:17