We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montreal to vermont? Border?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
roh
munster
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Topic
montreal to vermont? Border?

Hi,

am planning on flying to montreal and then travelling to vermont. Can anyone tell me what is the proceedure at the border? Im travelling from Ireland and have visa free waiver and travel authorisation to travel. I want to fly to montreal because it is more convenient for me, but i am a bit wary of the border control. Would it be better to fly straight to the US and travel to vermont i wonder?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: montreal to vermont? Border?

I don't know the answer, but on such an important topic, I would not trust any advice posted on a general site of this nature. I recommend that you call the relevant authorities and confirm with them.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: montreal to vermont? Border?

It sounds as though you have business to conduct in the U.S., and if so, I agree with Platipuss that it's best to contact U.S. Customs and Immigration first if you have questions about admission procedures.

Assuming that you have no business in Canada other than a return flight, Canadian authorities will simply note you as "In Transit", giving you the right to go directly to the airport and fly home.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
425 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: montreal to vermont? Border?

I agree with Platipus - make sure to contact BOTH Canadian and American customs to make sure you won't have any problem at the border. You never know how lucky or unlucky you'll be.

If your travel documents are in order, just tell them you landed in Montreal because it was cheaper.

I myself did this last fall when I flied to London. I am from Montreal but booked tickets from Burlingto, VT to London because it is usually much cheaper, especially as I was such late-notice (I originally had tickets with Zoom).

I think border agents are used to this kind of situation but as you are neither American or Canadian, I would still check with both authorities to avoid any problem or delay.

Cheers! :)

Northfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: montreal to vermont? Border?

The border patrol at the Vermont-Quebec border are used to Americans using the Montreal airport for overseas travel, but your being Irish may complicate matters. I live in Vermont and have had no problem crossing the border at Highgate (133/I-89). Sometimes there's a long line of trucks but passenger cars pass through fairly quickly.

montreal
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: montreal to vermont? Border?

Nth one to agree with Plat. Get the real story from US authorities, this way you will travel worry free.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: montreal to vermont? Border?

I have crossed the border with friends from oversees (australia, israel, england)

the procedure is the same as the airport. If you have a valid passport and no restrictions to enter the US it will take a few moments after answering basic questions, worst case they tell you to go inside and answer some more questions/inspect your bags. Worst case you are held back half an hour.

7. Re: montreal to vermont? Border?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 06:27