We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chez Queux

windsor Ontario
Level Contributor
22 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Chez Queux

I'm coming to Montreal for the 1st weekend in Apr 09. My fiance is turning 50 so I am planning a trip so that he can fulfill his dream of watching Habs at the Bell Centre. I would also like to take him out for a romantic dinner. I read about Chez Queux. Is this a good restaurant? We will be staying at the Sheraton close to the Bell Centre so is this too far or are there other restaurants closer? I liked the look of the decor at Chez Queux. I'm just wondering whether the cuisine is as good as the atmosphere. If anyone could let me know I would really really appreciate it as we are coming from Windsor Ontario.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chez Queux

It may fit your bill. I think of it as old, a bit dated with decent food, although noting particularly imaginative and arguably overpriced Based on what you say, you may like it because it is quiet, you may like the decor, it is in old montreal, and they have a good wine list. This is more traditional french, so look at the menu and if it pleases you, it may be a memorable night. Given that there is a lot of traffic around the Bell Center, give yourself ample time to get there so that you are not stressed out.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
507 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chez Queux

Agree with Platipus...the food is decent, though not spectacular (which is perfectly fine as long as you know what to expect). Atmosphere is traditional and definitely could suit your preference based on the info that you have provided. It is generally quiet, but I have been there a few times when it was rather busy. Service is good and the wine list is good as well. Prices are okay - not exactly cheap but not over-the-top expensive either.

And definitely agree that you need to leave yourself ample time to get back to the Bell Centre. If you are in Montreal for more than 1 nights, maybe you can consider your dinner at Chez Queux on the night when you're not going to the game so that you can sit back, relax and enjoy your dinner without feeling the need to rush back to the Bell Centre.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,819 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chez Queux

We had dinner there a couple of months ago, after a walk in old Mtl, it's a nice, cozy place to walk into from the cold and the service was very good, but hd's bison was overcooked and the cheesecake so so, very good Royal though and my fish was the best main (there were 3 of us).

windsor Ontario
Level Contributor
22 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chez Queux

Thanks for the info. Would you recommend anywhere else closer to the Bell Centre. We are going to be in Montreal for three days so there won't be a rush for dinner before the game.

I am also wondering whether this is a distance that we can walk or would you recommend a cab?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
507 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chez Queux

You can walk from the Sheraton to Chez Queux - but this is a good 20-25 minute walk. If you are not adverse to a lenghty leisurely walk, then it is certaily doable. Otherwise, I would recommend taking a cab.

There are numerous restaurants around the Bell Centre - they tend to be a lot busier since it is much closer to downtown and the shopping area. I can't think of anything offhand that would resemble Chez Queux's atmosphere around the Bell Centre. What other types of restaurants are you looking to try (and budget)?

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chez Queux

Chez Queux is a 20 minute walk if you walk extremely fast! (job?). Take a cab!

If you want something quick in an above average restaurant within less than 2-3 minutes walk to Bell Center, then I would suggest:

Decca 77; www.decca77.com/

La Coupole: hotellecrystal.com/la_coupole_restaurant_ter…

Brasserie Brunoise; www.brunoise.ca

If you are willing to walk 5-6 minutes, for a better ambiance in an old victorian house, I would recommend Da Vinci 1180 Bishop St., they have a working fireplace:

www.davinci.ca

windsor Ontario
Level Contributor
22 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chez Queux

thanks so much for the suggestions. Sorry it took so long to get back to you but had to find time away from the fiance to check this out... again, Thanks!

Montreal
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chez Queux

Hi,

Chez Queux is a good restaurant but if you are willing to walk 5 to 10 minutes, there is a very good French bistro style restaurant (romantic!) called Le Pois Penche. (Corner de Maisonneuve/Drummund).

http://www.lepoispenche.com/

windsor Ontario
Level Contributor
22 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chez Queux

Thanks! I will check it out since we are there for three nights... :)

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chez Queux

Hmm... I don't want to go against such a recommendation, but while le Pois-Penché pretends to be a French bistro, it's an example of what I call Generic International Chic -- all flash and very little substance. Such restaurants -- Time or Buona Notte are other examples -- have their place of course, so I wouldn't categorically reject it, just know that you're paying more for decor and beautiful people factor, and less for the quality of the food. And even then, if you want to go in that direction, instead of Pois-Penché, I would suggest the restaurant at the top of Place Ville-Marie -- at least it has the incredible view to explain its price-to-quality ratio; if you care more about food, I would recommend La brasserie brunoise or even L'Aromate.