We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal in July - Hotel, Itinerary

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Montreal in July - Hotel, Itinerary

Hi all,

I will be coming to Montreal with my fiance at the end of July for 3 nights. I wish to stay in a nice area that is great for walking to see the sights and have some nice meals etc.

First time in Montreal. Can someone recommend a hotel (preferably private run or unique) that is under $70, clean and comfortable in an area like this?

Also, can someone recommend a top five itinerary of places to see and things to do. Insider info that maybe falls outside of all the tourist top fives.

Thanks a bunch!

Kij

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,024 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal in July - Hotel, Itinerary

Oh, dear...the nicest areas for hotels is Old Montreal, but good luck finding one at that price. For $70, you're looking at budget hotels -- probably in the Latin Quarter, since most of them are there.

A few options though.

You might try www.hotwire.com or www.priceline.com bidding sites to see what you can find, although I'd say even $70 is too low for them to do their magic with the nicer hotels in the nicer areas.

As mentioned, the Latin Quarter -- this is a very urban neighbourhood, full of punks and drunks but also tourists and tons of people on St-Denis in restaurants and bars and such. I've lived here for 20 years now, and I love it, but it's not for everyone. Just east of it is the gay Village, which is nice to walk around especially since Ste-Catherine is closed to traffic during the summer, but your fiancé might not like getting cruised all the time :) Just north of it is Le Plateau, which is a fantastic neighbourhood indeed, great to wander around.

You could try Le 1 René-Lévesque, which was built as student housing, so it's very basic, but it's clean and very conveniently located right next to Chinatown, a few blocks from Old Montreal. Again, the neighbourhood just to the north of it is very urban, but after that, you head up to St-Laurent which is a great street.

You might consider a b&b instead -- you don't get quite the privacy, given that you're staying in someone's home, and you may need to share a bathroom, but there are lots in Le Plateau, for example... either here on TA or www.bbcanada.com/quebec/montr%E9al/montreal

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
871 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal in July - Hotel, Itinerary

Tristou is right - for a first time, Old Montreal is the place to be located but for $70 CAD you'll have a tough time outside of priceline or hotwire and you take what you can get for those services....

however, if you want to book ahead, here are some suggestions......These are not privately run - but some good deals....

nicely located in Chinatown and fairly close to Old Montreal (maybe a 6-7 minute walk to Notre Dame Cathedral)...The downtown hilton with rates from $119 CAD in late July...

ca.deals.travelzoo.com/canada-hotels/604686

a new hotel on the edge of Old Montreal, Le Westin,which has just opened - still has some dates available for $139 CAD (ignore the text saying the offer is sold out)

ca.deals.travelzoo.com/canada-hotels/597444…

Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal in July - Hotel, Itinerary

Thanks for the info.

Someone suggested the Hotel Champs de Mars in Old Montreal. You seem to know Montreal quite well. The reviews on this site seem to be split with love/hate for the place. Do you know anything about it? Is it a sketchy part of the city? Close to nice shops/attractions/restaurants?

I appreciate it!

Kij22

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,024 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal in July - Hotel, Itinerary

The hotel is beautiful on the outside, but I assume you've read the reviews here online. The area is nice, and you're a little walk to the very touristy Place Jacques Cartier and the Bonsecours Market area for restaurants and such (of course, better and cheaper restaurants can be found elsewhere, such as in the Plateau neighbourhood). You're a few blocks from a métro, and there's a Bixi station a block away. Berri one of the few streets leading into Old Montreal, so if there is an event happening, traffic gets backed up and if people are frustrated, they honk their horns. Otherwise, you're at the edge of Old Montreal, so at night it gets quiet and you can actually feel a little isolated (unless the guests in the next room to you are loud, since the walls are apparently paper-thin).

You might also want to check out Hotel Viger close by -- again, the reviews are mixed indeed. Viger Street itself is very busy in the mornings, but less so at night, and the alleyway behind the hotel is one of my favourites in Montreal, although the mostly gay Conciergerie B&B next door actually makes much better use of it with a beautiful back patio.

Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreal in July - Hotel, Itinerary

Well, I bit the bullet and put in a $62 US bid into Priceline and.....voila! The Hyatt Regency accepted and now I am set up in the Hyatt for the end of July for three days. I imagine I am missing the charm of some of the hotels in Old Montreal, but seems like a great deal in a good part of the city. What do you think?

I really thank you for your help. Excited to be coming to Montreal. Any insider info on a great place for lunch/brunch near there?

Kij22

canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreal in July - Hotel, Itinerary

The Hyatt is in a good location....$62 US is a good price...short walk to Old Montreal...Place Des Arts is right across the street if you like theatre...Try the Bixi Bike rentals for transportation....you will have fun as Montreal is a great city...

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,024 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreal in July - Hotel, Itinerary

That is an incredible price, congratulations... for breakfast, there's an Eggspectations just downstairs from the hotel. For lunch, there's a food court in the complex. For dinner, you're just a walk away from Chinatown, or if you want to be fancy, the Café du Nouveau Monde on Ste-Catherine and St-Urbain is very good.

Oh, and 5 things to do that fall outside of the tourist top five:

1) As suggested, Bixi your way around Montreal. I've indicated my favourite streets and green alleyways in the Plateau and the Village here: maps.google.com/maps/ms…

2) Eat at La Binerie Mont Royal -- the beans are great, the rest of the food is so-so, but it's a great Montreal institution. Or at Jolee for Sri Lankan stringhoppers. Or at the Caribbean Curry House for roti.

3) Walk through Westmount Park and visit the library there -- a particularly pretty building

4) Take the métro to Monk station and marvel at the huge statues -- a beautiful work of art. See http://www.metrodemontreal.com/index-e.html and click on Matt's rating based on "architecture, art, design, and layout"

5) On the way back (or there), stop by de l'Église station, walk to the river, and there's a section of undeveloped land that is very nice indeed to walk along -- you feel like you're in the country, not a city of 3.6 million. Be sure to check out the Wellington shopping street, too -- it's like a poorer version of Le Plateau but a great little neighbourhood indeed.

8. Re: Montreal in July - Hotel, Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2009, 05:19