We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Dim Sum

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
425 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Good Dim Sum

I am looking for restaurants and there locations in Montreal for some good Dim Sum. I have good memories of Dim Sum in San Francisco, but I'm not able to get it in RI. So I am thinking I will try to find some in Montreal's Chinatown.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Damas Restaurant
££££, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
Restaurant Tandem
££££, French, European, Fusion
Bistro 1843
££££, French, Canadian
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,709 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Dim Sum

Yes there is good Dim Sum in Montreal, in fact two of the best are completely different and just a block from each other in Chinatown, on Saint-Urbain street. Plus they are both just a short walk from the metro (subway) station Place-d'Armes.

The first is the main dining room of the Holiday Inn Chinatown, Chez Chine. It is very upscale and brings mainly business people. It is more expensive than most other Dim Sum places because they use special ingredients and specialties like shark fin soup, dried scallops dumplings, etc. Also the service is more formal you get a menu with pictures and trilingual names. They are prepared in the kitchen "à la minute" and sent to your table right away. No little ladies with carts here.

The other is the Maison Kam Fung on the second floor of a multi use building, at the end of a small Chinese shopping center. The place is huge but cannot contain everybody that shows up so do not think of getting a table at noon right away. If you arrive a bit after 11 they might also bring you some menus since only a few carts are running with breakfast things like congee. But the action will start pretty soon and the specific specialty that you have ordered will probably be in the first few carts. Why make one portion when you can make 25? This is during the week or Saturdays, on Sundays the crowd starts at 10h30. Since most tables are for families of six or eight you can also mention that you don't mind sharing your table if this don't bother you, it will shorting your waiting time. Also the carts may contain some more exotic offerings like tripes or chicken feet but usually the ladies in charge don't show them and announce them only in Chinese so as not to offend some of the clientele. The best of the best Dim Sum specialty in Montreal is served here it is the fried shrimp dumplings served with...mayonnaise!

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Hotel Place d'Armes
Hotel Place d'Armes
2,647 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Kam Fung
Kam Fung
168 Reviews
Brossard, Canada
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,057 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Dim Sum

...I was quite disappointed with the Holiday Inn when I went there. There are two others in Chinatown: the Tong Por (which I also found disappointing the last time I was there, but I have been before and it was fantastic), and Ruby Rouge, which is on par with Kam Fung.

There are also restaurants further out that do Dim Sum -- I know of one in Brossard and another on Pie-IX just north of Beaubien.

Mentioned in this post
Kam Fung
Kam Fung
168 Reviews
Brossard, Canada
Brossard
Brossard
Quebec, Canada
Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Dim Sum

All out of town Chinese chefs I know as well as foodies don't have a high opinion of Chinese food in this city. Although Montreal generally has a great culinary reputation, Chinese and Indian food are definitely sub par.

If you just like casual Chinese and are not a foodie, you will probably be satisfied. If you are looking for a SF, NYC or even Toronto experience, you will likely be disappointed.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Dim Sum

Agree with Platipus...Chinese food in Montreal is extremely sub-par (I'm Chinese myself). Compared to other cuisines available in the city, the Chinese food is not particularly impressive. However, if you are really having a craving for dim sum and you are not too particular, you should be able to satisfy your cravings in Montreal.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Dim Sum

Finally, someone who supports my views on Chinese food in Montreal!

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,057 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Dim Sum

Try Ngun Shing, 7007 Pie-IX, Montreal. Classic cantonese.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,709 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Dim Sum

Some of the penelist are very negative about Chinese food in Montreal and, more or less I agree.

But not for Dim Sum where for me the quality at Maison Kam Fung is as good if not better than any in Toronto. I have not been at the Holiday Inn in a while but it was a Chinese friend, with his half his family living in Montreal and the other in Vancouver, who brought me there and at Maison Kam Fung explaining the differences in style and prices. The quality may have slipped at the Holiday Inn but certainly not at Maison Kam Fung.

The one is Brossard is another Maison Kam Fung and I consider preposterous for panelists to suggest restaurants that are totally off the beaten track when there is a good value readily available downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Kam Fung
Kam Fung
168 Reviews
Brossard, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
The Holiday Inn Niagara Falls
The Holiday Inn Niagara...
785 Reviews
Niagara Falls, NY
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Brossard
Brossard
Quebec, Canada
8. Re: Good Dim Sum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 06:15