We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family visit during Divers/Cite events

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
179 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Family visit during Divers/Cite events

Please forgive me if I sound ignorant but I would love some suggestions/advise for my visit. My mother in law picked the dates for us to visit Montreal and I just discovered today that we will be visiting during the Divers/Cite events. I just wanted to make sure that the city would be still be family friendly, especially the parade, as I know from past experience in other cities that it can sometimes be "graphic." We will be there with my in laws and my children. The festivities with the concerts sound fun and I would still love to go to some of the events. Thank you!

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family visit during Divers/Cite events

Hmm... well, if by family-friendly you mean no nudity, I don't think we can guarantee that during the parade here in extremely liberal Montreal -- but it's really only on the day of the parade that people get wildly dressed up (and even then, it's by far filled more with ordinary people), so if you avoid the area on August 16th, you will have no problems.

I've noticed that it's the parents that are more shocked about such things than the kids, who just think it's a lot of fun to see people in all sorts of costumes -- they don't understand the sexual references anyway, they just think it's fun to at last see some adults being sensible and playing dress-up, like everyone should every day :)

There are invariably a few people wearing very, very little, so you may see some women or transexuals without their tops on (although normally they have body paint on), and you'll see some men wearing chaps with nothing covering their behinds, but not much more graphic than that. And lots of sequines and feathers and ordinary people in t-shirts and shorts and little bits of leather and volley-ball uniforms and swimsuits and so on...

Of course you define your own limits on what is acceptable and what you want your children to see, this may be an opportunity to apply the "when in Rome" idea of travelling -- and instead of being shocked at how depraved a society can be, see how people in different cultures treat these things differently. We had a similar question one time about strip clubs -- a person not wanting her daughter to see such things; we pointed out that strip clubs are really just part of the landscape here, and it would be very hard to avoid them, since they're downtown in amongst boutiques and such.

See this past post as well: tripadvisor.com/…8143534

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
179 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family visit during Divers/Cite events

I do agree with you. I think my son would really enjoy it! I'm actually more concerned about my in laws but you're right, "when in rome." Thanks!

3. Re: Family visit during Divers/Cite events

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 08:29