We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Quebec and Montreal

Las Vegas NV
4 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Quebec and Montreal

We will be arriving in Quebec via cruiseship. We plan to spend one night there, and then go to Montreal for two nights. We have reservations at the Hilton in Quebec, and at the airport in Montreal.

We need some advice on whether to rent a car in Quebec, and leave it in Montreal, which would be around $460 US. How far is it from the Hilton to the airport in Quebec - about how much would cabfare be?

Another alternative would be to take the train between the two cities. How much would it cost for cab fare in Quebec from the Hilton to the train station, and in Montreal from the train station to the airport?

If we decide not to rent a car, how easy would it be to sightsee with toursin the two cities?

Montreal Scooter Rentals and Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Private Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
Local Montreal Food Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Spade & Palacio Non-Touristy Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Quebec and Montreal

My advice would be to take the train. I've done it beofre and found it to be a great experience. The train station is located in the old part of Quebec City and if my memory serves me right your staying just outside the gates to the old city which is not far from the train station at all.

Your going to love both places. Quebec City is so easy to walk everywhere (bring comfy shoes!) and it your staying in downtown Montreal you can walk most places as well.

I hope you have a fabulous time.

Dan

Las Vegas NV
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Quebec and Montreal

Thank you Dan - I'm beginning to lean towards the train also. We will be at the airport in Montreal - but I would imagine there would be tours available that would pick us up at the hotel. Could you recommend your favorite things to see/do in both cities?

St-lambert
Level Contributor
942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Quebec and Montreal

Bonjour

If your plan is to visit the cities itself, don't rent a car, the amount is too much. The train is a good option, Quebec-Montreal has 3 departure a day vith Via Rail. When you say Airport in Quebec, are you flying to Montreal ? a cab fare would be around 35.00 Can. The Hilton Quebec is located about 5 minutes by car to the train station.

For Montral I would change your booking to stay downtown Montreal, specially if you visit for two days, this will avoid travelling back and fort to your hotel near the airport and now Montreal has alots of roadwork. Taxi to the Montreal Airport is a fix amount, and if my memory is good it is $38.00.

Enjoy your visit

Las Vegas NV
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Quebec and Montreal

Thank you so much for your reply - I was able to change my reservation to the Hilton Garden Inn which is downtown - 380 Sherbrooke St

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Quebec and Montreal

I totally agree with the train as well, www.viarail.com. The trip is about 3 hours and 15 minutes, a little boring scenery wise, but very easy on and off. The cab ride from the Quebec Hilton to the train station is very short so the fair will be minimal.

Enjoy!!

JDP

St-lambert
Level Contributor
942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Quebec and Montreal

Smart move.

Your are right in the downtown area of Montreal.

Do enjoy your visit and savor Quebec/Montreal.

Au Revoir

Las Vegas NV
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Quebec and Montreal

Thank you so much for all of your help, guys.

Any suggestions on "must see" in Quebec and Montreal?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,438 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Quebec and Montreal

I totally disagree with the train option. Why?

Because the trip is as dull as one by car or by bus, the schedule are not really so good and it is way much expensive than the bus unless you can make reservations well in advance and not travel on peak days so you can get the super saver fare. The train takes a bit longer than the bus and very often it is delayed because the tracks are not owned by Viarail but by other companies that prioritize freight trains.

The best solution is the bus, the service is excellent with buses leaving every hour on the hour from Montreal and on the half hour from Québec, all day long. The whole trip takes 3h15 minutes, sometimes a bit less.

The departure from Québec is at the same train station and in Montreal you arrive at the main out of town bus terminal. If your airport hotel has a shuttle you can take the airport shuttle from the bus terminal, get to the airport and call the hotel shuttle from there to bring you to your hotel. Price is $15 per person. For 3 or more take a cab from the bus terminal the flat rate is $35 plus tip, at least that was the case a few months ago. If you take a cab to your hotel it might cost you more than going to the airport because the ride will be metered.

If you just want to visit Montreal for the day, you can put your luggage in rented lockers at the bus terminal. For that you need a proof of transportation, your reciept from Orléans Express (the Québec bus) will do or your tickets for the shuttle bus. The bus stations sits just above the main connexion of the metro (subway) system so you can get anywhere easily. Again if you are more than three a cab could end up costing about the same to get to the main attractions, except the Botanical garden and the Olympic complex.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Quebec and Montreal

...and I must play my part in saying that I totally agree with the train option. If you do get the supersaver fare, the price is about the same as the bus, the seats are larger and further apart than the bus, you get to see a few little towns (and not just their industrial outskirts as with the freeway), there's the nice swaying motion, and the views are arguably better since although in places you go along the freeway, there are other moments that you are smack dab in the middle of farmland and forest with the impression of it being at arm's length, rather like a walk in the countryside. And first class is quite good and a lot cheaper than first class on the plane.

The schedule is dreadful, though, with the last train leaving Québec around 5:30 p.m., so I normally suggest the train out there, and the bus back, to spend a few more hours in beautiful Québec.

Keep in mind that many places don't even have trains as an option, or must suffer with dreadful service and "comfort" (such as Amtrak, which from what I hear is dreadful). So it's refreshing to take Via which is clean and comfortable and, for the most part, efficient (except when they do stop to allow freight to go by, which does happen of course).

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Quebec and Montreal

The train is definitely the best transportation option for tourists. The bus (operated by Orleans Express) is very good too, but it's not as interesting.

My suggestion is that you book a ticket in Business Class on VIA Rail, and ask the reservations person if the train will be a "Renaissance" type. The Renaissance-type trains are the newest and most comfortable, and most trips between Montreal and Quebec use this type. If you're in Business class, you'll get a meal, unlimited coffee, wine, beer, soda, and snacks, and there is wi-fi internet. You also get access to the Panorama Lounge while waiting for your train in Gare du Palais (Quebec train station), and you'll have access to the Bar Car on-board; on some trains they even have satellite TV now!

You can book tickets at http://viarail.ca.

To get to the airport, there are multiple options. If you're with a small group of people, it may be economical to take a taxi at the set rate of $38. If you're travelling alone, there is a luxury motorcoach service called "Aerobus" from the Central Bus Station (Station Autobus Centrale) to the airport for around $15, and it's very frequent.

If you want to save money, you could also get there by public transit. Take the metro to Lionel-Groulx station, bus #211 express one stop to Dorval, and then transfer to bus #204 to the airport. Cost is $2.75.