We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque,N.M.
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel

Whis hotel is better - The W or LeMariden. I'm looking for good location. Are they both close to the Old Port? Thank you. All opinions are much appreciated.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,631 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel

Comparing the Méridien and the W is like comparing oranges and apples. Méridien is located downtown in a converted '60s appartment building and with standards rooms and the W in a former bank from the early 1900's renovated in a trendy loft like feel.

So here is the description of your choices, with the + and - .

Méridien: Former appartment building, the rooms are standard hotel but the low cielings and an over abundance of furniture gives a very crampy atmosphere to the rooms. It is located on ritzy Sherbrooke street w. (actually the Ritz hotel is a few blocks away) on the edge of the downtown core, just a few minutes away to be in the heart of the action. Very close to the metro (subway) station Guy/Concordia on the green line, the line for all downtown stops. Many restaurants close by, including one on premise (at least it was the last time I was around). You can walk easyly after partying on Crescent st. Very frenchy bourgeois feel. Since the hotel is a daughter of the Château Versailles across the street it has a very traditional customer base so there is not so many special deals offers to bring new customers in.

W : Former bank building, the rooms are loft/contemporary designer with very high cielings and an almost zen atmosphere in the rooms. It is located on not so interesting Square Victoria but just a few minutes away to be in Old Montreal and a few more minutes to the Old Port. It is on the edge of downtown but you have to walk up the hill to reach it by foot. Very very close to the metro (subway) station Square Victoria on the orange line, which means that you have to go to a transfer station before reaching the green line for downtown stops. Many restaurants close by in Old Mtl, including one on premise (at least it was the last time I was around). You will have to take a cab after partying on Crescent st. Very generation X gone rich and living in loft condos. Since the hotel is fairly new they offer many different special deals to bring customers in.

Montreal, QC
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel

W is definitely closer to the Old Port and Old Montreal, and it's a gorgeous location near Square Victoria - which is fifteen minutes downtown, walking distance. However, Le Meridien has one of the best restaurants in town (Brontë) and is located on Sherbrooke Street, near shops, boutiques and museums. If you want to be in Old Montreal, I would also recommend Gault or Hotel St. Paul, I think they're even more interesting than W, design-wise, and they feel a little more local than W's 'international Wallpaper look'.

Hope this helps!

tourisme-montreal.org/Blogs/Arts-And-Culture

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel

The W has voyuer showers (meaning you can view the shower and who is in it from the bed area)so don't know if that would make a difference to you. I thought it was pretty cool and unique. The rooms are also very dark-I had a hard time trying to read at night as the lighting was very dim.

Overall I really liked the place and we'd stay there again.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel

...just a technicality: the building the W is in was originally built in 1950, not the early 1900's. It used to be the Bank of Canada building, and in the underground tunnel between it and the CDP building, if you're attentive enough, you'll see some old concrete that are the walls of the old vault.

5. Re: Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2010, 06:24