We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boarder Crossing

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
205 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Boarder Crossing

Thank you all for your information we are looking forward to our trip from RI to Montreal on October 9th-12. If I may I have heard there is more than one way to cross the boarder (we have never done this before) does anyone know of the one with the least amount of traffic,if there is one or any tips??. I am planning on a 7hr trip and would like to get there and start enjoying our vacation as soon as possible

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boarder Crossing

Are you coming via the I87? If so, then the Lacolle Border (Champlain NY) is the most direct route. I personally find the crossing a bit of a crap shoot..sometimes it's insane (an hour or two wait) and sometimes you breeze right through.

Unfortunately, you're coming on a holiday weekend (our Thanksgiving), so it will most likely be busy. But, like I said, you never know..

The only tip is to tell the truth LOL. I also wanted to say that someone mentioned that the US side was busier and more of a hassle..in my experience, this is not true. I cross quite often on my NYC trips and have never had to wait on the US side or had any sort of problem. Come to think of it, never had any problem on the Canadian side either, except for the occasional lineups.

Don't stress over this. If there is a wait, then you have to be patient. Good things come to those who wait LOL :)

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boarder Crossing

I think that I answered some queries from you saturn but can't remember how you were coming by 87 or ??

You can go to maps.google.com for a very good ittinerary. The shorter route is by I 89 etc. The border crossing is less busy than the one at Lacolle/Champlain but there might be traffic jams sometimes. You can do something that is not really a shortcut but that might save you time at the border + nice scenic road; leave the highway near Swanton ang go on the roads trough the Lake Champlain Islands and cross at one of the two small checkpoint near Rouses Point, do not attempt to go trough the small country roads without checkpoints. Then you will be only a few miles away from highway 15 that leads you directly to Mtl.

You can have the complete ittinerary with the google maps.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boarder Crossing

I89 thru Vermont is the best way to go. It is usually pretty quick going into Canada. I think the delays are more common returning to the States. Hope you have your passports or passport cards as well as they are now mandatory.

Enjoy!!

JDP

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
342 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boarder Crossing

Crossing into Canada at the end of I89 was a breeze last weekend. We waited 5 minutes and were cleared to go by customs in about a minute. We heard the same crossing back into the US can be slower, but encountered only one other vehicle in-front of us on Wednesday afternoon. The customs agent ask the usual questions about "food products, alcohol, and tobacco products". My wife said we had "nothing" but tee-shirts to which the agent responded have a pleasant trip home. Less than one minute. We luck-out no doubt and obviously didn't fit any bad-guy profiles.

Good luck with your travels.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boarder Crossing

Curiously the drive in the Champlain Islands and the crossing at Rouses point don't add up so much time in your travel.

This is because the traffic trough the islands is almost non-existant and that after the checkpoints you can reach highway 15 in just a few minutes.

I 89 narrows to a strange three lane road just a few kms on this side of the border and you have to drive on that for some time before getting to the highway near Saint-Jean sur Richelieu.

On the opposite direction, once we were driving on the 15 and saw this HUGE line-up at the American border but we were far away enough to take the last exit and go to the first checkpoint at Rouses Point where there was two cars in front of us, less than 5 minutes wait.

We, Québécois, are gregarious but to the point of waiting two hours at the border, you must be kidding! But it is true!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boarder Crossing

We always use the Alburg/Noyon crossing. I don't think anyone knows about it as we never see any cars there. From there we pop over to Lacolle, up through Napierville and onto 15.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boarder Crossing

Hi Saturn,

Here's a handy link to the Border Report by Canadian Border Services, it is updated hourly

www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html

As you can see it only lists the primary crossings, so in this case

Stanstead = I-91

St Armand = I-89

St Berndard de Lacolle = I-87

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
205 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boarder Crossing

Just back from Montreal weekend. It was all I had expected it to be Old Montreal was wonderful. Marroitt Chateau Champlain was fabulous. Only took us 15 minutes both ways over the boarder using rte89 7hrs each way. We dined at Modavie, Baton Rouge and forgive me for not remembering the whole name but it was like de Spaghetti in Old Montreal. The whole experience and the people were real nice. We walked everywhere from the waterfront to McGill University to Ste Cathrine Street. A great vacation can't wait to go back!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boarder Crossing

Hi Saturn,

Glad to hear you had a great visit. Do come back again sometime (perhaps see us in a different season). The great thing about Montreal, is she truly is a year-round Destination.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boarder Crossing

Nice report Saturn!! We've stayed at the Chateau Champlain and love Modavie so you had 2 great picks right there. And I agree, once you've visited Montreal and Canada in general you can't wait to get back!

JDP