We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant request

falls church
5 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant request

Headed to Montreal this w/e for 3 days. Would love restaurant recommendations, ideally 2 or 3 top (expensive) restaurants and another 5 or so more moderate/inexpensive ones. Btw, we love all cuisines. Any restaurants not to be missed? Thanks much.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant request

So verry verry French : Laloux (250 des Pins E at Laval Street, 514-287-9127) or l'Express (close by at 3927 rue St-Denis, 514-845-5333)

Delicious, expensive, and creative: Area (429 Amherst, 514-890-6691) or Chez L'Épicier (311 St Paul E, 514-878-2232).

Tiny place, but highly recommended with a scrumptious 4-dishes-for-$40 taster menu and an impressive number of wines by the glass: La montée de lait (371, rue Villeneuve E, 514-289-9921)

Burgers & fries: La Paryse (302 rue Ontario E, 514-842-2040) or L'Anecdote (corner of Rachel and St-Hubert)

Beautiful Iranian café: Byblos Le Petit Cafe (1499 Laurier E, 514-523-9396) -- not quite worth the detour, but if you're in the neighbourhood...

Huge, crowded with suburbanites, but with suprisingly good Italian food for a very decent price: L'Académie, 4051 St. Denis and Duluth, 514-849-2249... it's bring-your-own-wine, and there's a liquor store right next door!

falls church
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant request

Thanks very much, Tristou. Sounds like we'll do some great dining!

Redding, California
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant request

Having lived in MTL a few years ago, we would always go to Gibbys in Old Montreal...this is amazing steak, terrific atmosphere and great service. Around $130/couple, but so worth it. I believe it is on D'Youville. Yummy!

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant request

Truthful is ABSOLUTELY right! Gibbys (www.gibbys.com) is my favorite restaurant in Montreal. Queue de Cheval (www.queuedecheval.com)is also one of Montreal's BEST dining experience.

ornithorynx@canada.c...
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant request

I have to disagree with Gibby's : garlic with steak. Queue de Cheval is like Morton's - it's too American, presumably, when in Montreal, you want to try something that is that is "different".

Q de C is good, but not worth the money in my opinion. Bella and I always disagree on this.

Laloux is a great choice. They have a good cellar.

L'Express, 3927 St-Denis 845-5333, is my favorite French bistrot. Probably to closest thing to what you would have in Paris. I eat there a lot. Great selection of wines by the glass. Not too expensive.

Italian: downtown, go to Le Latini

Italian: little Italy, go to Il Mulino

Old Montreal: L'Epicier is my favorite. I have yet to tried Club Chasse et Peche, but I heard good things about it. In Old Montreal, Holders, on McGill Street is a good mid range choice.

Greek/Fish: Milos, perhaps the most expensive restaurant in town. Movie stars on the town eat there.

French/Belgian: La Chronique on Laurier St.

Toque: slightly more expensive than La Chronique, great veggies, but I find the service choppy, which is unnaceptable given the prices. I find the food better at La Chronique.

PS - I only recommend expensive restaurants unless otherwise mentioned.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant request

I have to admit, we do always disagree on those 2 restaurants but my fellow advisorites, Orni has amazing tastes in restaurants, clothes and hotels!

ornithorynx@canada.c...
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant request

... and women, Bella.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant request

Good memory lol I remmeber! ;)

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant request

LOL orni, must you mention about women?

And I agree with you about garlic in steak? Never! I have tried steaks almost everywhere and they are all different. You tend to remember some as great and some so, so, that's prolly due to some other reasons and associations, such as location, ambience, company, mood, apetitie etc. I remember the best steak I had in a restaurant was in Geneva at, "Relais de L'Entrecote" but to be very honest I make better steaks than them :p it may sound like blowing your own trumpet, yes true, but this is also true :-)

The meat and the cut is more important and sometimes it is hard to find good meat and a good cut. They sell by different names like beef filet mignon, chateaubriand, tournedos, medallions, filet de boeuf, tenderloin steak, sirloin, (of course sirloin is not the same as tenderloin) the meat has to be very tender and its texture is more important, if it is tenderloin it must be from the tail end and not the top end.

Personally, I prefer the veal rib-eye steak (without the T bone) I am sure the Americans will laugh if I talk about veal steak, because the Texans like red beef sirloin steaks and that too 2 inches thick, I prefer 1/2 to 3/4 inch thin slices, its more European, more French more than anything else it is more tasty and looks more civilized :-)

The second important thing is marination, if the meat is good

then you don't have to marinate it for long, just an hour is enough. Someone I know said, you must use meat tenderizer, I said, you'll kill the steak if you add meat tenderizer. The tenderloin and rib eye meat texture is so soft that it melts in your mouth without too much cooking.

Grilling makes the steak a little bit harder as compared to frying on very high heat in cast iron frying pans with just a hint of butter. You fry for 30 seconds each side and it is done. If you miss the charcoal flavour, there are ways to add that flavour in your steaks.

Accessories and garnishing is very important, the steak sauce has to gel with the garnishing in your plate for e.g., either baked potatoes or avocado salad or both with ginger glazed pears, saute truffle mushrooms in butter with a hint of balsamic vinegar and soy sauce and the base sauce for the steak must be prepared with freshly ground pepper, using either lemon or orange flavouring, (always use fresh orange or fresh lemon).

Orni you can choose your own wine, because I am a teetotaller and I believe that one can enjoy food with a variety of fruit juices and combo of juices, create new recipes and improvise them again and again :-) Bon Apetite.

Montr��al, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant request

And please don't forget La Brunoise (www.brunoise.ca). It's my favorite restaurant in town. Have you tried it, Orni?