We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting from Vermont for some good food....

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
300 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting from Vermont for some good food....

We're innkeepers popping over to the city on Tuesday Dec 1st for two nights of sleep. As we're Brits we LOVE the french food in the city which is so NOT USA...and we have booked DNA for dinner one night. We are staying in Hotel Gault and wonder if anyone has suggestions for a walkable dinner on Wednesday evening?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,961 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting from Vermont for some good food....

I had never heard of DNA before but i just checked their menus and it seems a very interesting place. Of course you get the Montreal clichés (tartare, boudin noir) that are trendy everywhere now but also offerings like in no other places, i.e. kid goat etc. so I would give it a try myself.

For Wednesday evening it all depends on what kind of budget you have. Toqué and Club Chasse et Pêche are within walking distance and are great, really at the top of gastronomic places in Mtl (although Toqué at the moment might be resting a bit on it's laurels), but also on top for dollars. So to be followed if you give us more specifics about your budget.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,024 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting from Vermont for some good food....

http://www.restaurantholder.com/ is pretty close to the Gault (my favourite hotel in MTL) and awfully good :)

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting from Vermont for some good food....

I would not be surprised that Toqué goes bankrupt if things continue as they are.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,961 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting from Vermont for some good food....

I second Tristou on the Brasserie Holder if you are not planning to spend a fortune that night.

Platipus, you seems one of the few Montrealers (beside me, that is) that has detected tome negative vibes about Toqué. I have not been there in a while and the last time everything was perfect but not memorable, so much so in fact that I had to call my fellow tablemate the day after just to remember what we had! No lasting impressions. Right now my quibbles about the place are mostly coming from checking their Sumkmer and Fall menus on the net. Dull food photos and kind of pedestrian offers (yea, foie gras in Mtl can be considered pedestrian) I did not see any sparkle. May be I'll post a query! Anyway Davidbignose I would suggest that you have a look at their site to see if the menu and prices are OK for you since it seems that the food is still no fault, just not what it used to be. Also their tasting menus with wines are still a very good choice moneywise (I would say half the price of something similar in the US).

Close to your hotel too but more expensive than Holder you will find XO in the Saint-James hotel, in a stunning room that used to be the main hall of a private bank.

Have you ever been to L'Express on Saint-Denis st? For me it is the epitome of the French bistro in North-America. It is not at a walking distance but on Saint-Denis st between two metro stations or a short cab ride away. That can be a good lunch option even if they have no special table d'hôte for lunch. Plus you could walk on Saint-Denis and look at all the boutiques. For foodies Arthur Quentin is a must. If you have been there, then why don't you try the very affordable lunch menu at Laurie-Raphael downtown.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting from Vermont for some good food....

Thank you...I will advise you of where I went upon my return from your wonderful city.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting from Vermont for some good food....

We came, had sunshine and sunny warmth in December (!!!!) and LOVED hotel Gault, DNA was fantastic and Holder did the business. We will return soon just to go to DNA again (but not on half price wine Tuesday night as we drank FAR too much!!!) and stay in the Gault. So much more intimate & personal than what we think Nelligan would be. Nelligan is we are sure good but the Gault is original. Thank you for your assistance.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting from Vermont for some good food....

Instead of DNA, try Grazielle nearby on McGill Street. If you are a foody, you will appreciate the difference.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,961 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting from Vermont for some good food....

So many restaurants in Mtl and not so much money to try all of them! My case but, anyways, even the filthy rich (and I have worked sor some) have a stomach and a liver that can accomodate only a limited amount of food and booze!

Great that you had so much culinary fun. Come back, my other recommendations still hold and I will add a new one right away. Why don't you go to the provincial hotel and tourism school? Known under the acronym ITHQ. It sits just over the Sherbrooke metro station. They have 2 different dining rooms and 3 different options. First the regular restaurant that is opened all the time at regular hours. It is very nice and you have a good look at beautiful Saint-Louisa Square and the prices are quite smooth for the quality offered. Nice contemporary Québécois menu with outstanding service that is done by the students finishing silver service courses and that want to impress their teachers. Then the hidden dining room. It is located on the second floor of the building in a nice application dining room. Two different menus depending on which level the table service students are. Table d'hôte on one side and English Service with gueridon on the other side. This dining room is mostly for students and school staff plus their families but everybody can make reservations a few days in advance or walk in and just ask the reception/security desk (not the hotel desk) if any spots are available. Lunch and dinner only when the proper courses are teached. Check ithq.qc.ca

Hope that you will be back soon!

9. Re: Visiting from Vermont for some good food....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2010, 05:15