We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

W Hotel or Nelligan Hotel

Cleveland, OH
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
W Hotel or Nelligan Hotel

My fiance and I are going to Montreal for our honeymoon in September! Anyone have a preference between these 2 hotels?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: W Hotel or Nelligan Hotel

I have not stayed at either, i am a local so i don't stay in hotels much. I can comment on their location though!

Both are near Old Montreal, i assume it was your criteria.

Nelligan you will be in the middle of Old Montreal and W you will be on the outskirts, nearing chinatown and downtown. Personally, i would prefer W Hotel because although the location is less charming, it is more centralized and closer to the Metro station. You can walk 5 minutes each way and be Downtown, chinatown or Old Montreal.

Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: W Hotel or Nelligan Hotel

I've never STAYED in either, but I've BEEN in both... I agree that the W is more convenient, but I'd actually go for the Nelligan.

The W for me epitomizes what I call "generic international chic" -- they did a fantastic job and I love it for its very chic design and fancy lighting and so on, but it also feels as though you could be any hotel anywhere in any city in the world.

The Nelligan is on par with the W for quality, but comes with a more traditional furniture and design (no see-through showers for example), plus it's a smaller hotel in an older building and most of the rooms have exposed stone or brick walls, for example... to me this offers a little more history and that undefinable thing: soul.

Edited: 03 February 2010, 19:03
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: W Hotel or Nelligan Hotel

I think you will be very pleased with The Nelligan...classy boutique hotel...two in-house restaurants (and numerous others nearby)...and a great rooftop bar with a nice view of the harbour for martinis, etc.

A romantic hotel for sure...

Never stayed at the other one.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: W Hotel or Nelligan Hotel

Two very different hotels - both are excellent in their own way. Which one you choose will depend on what you're looking for. In short, W Montreal is a hip, uber-modern hotel that will "wow" you. The Nelligan is a charming, intimate hotel that evokes a classical atmosphere while still offering all the modern amenities. I personally like both of the hotels very much...but if I had to choose, I would have to go with the Nelligan. The atmosphere is very relaxing and the staff is wonderful and great at adding a personal touch to your stay. You won't go wrong with either hotel though.

Note that the W Montreal's fees for amenities like internet access can be considered to be rather steep; the Nelligan comes with free internet access as well as free continental breakfast and free wine/cheese from 5 to 7pm.

5. Re: W Hotel or Nelligan Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2010, 07:18
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor