We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markets

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Markets

I live in a gastronomicaly deprived area of upstate NY, and am planning another tip to Montreal; this time I want to go grocery shopping. I hear Atwater Market is the place, but what about the other city markets? I'm looking for good cheese, spices (especially Mexican/Latin), and good beer. I plan on parking at Longueuil and taking the subway, so easy access to subway is a must. Also would like recommendations for superior casual eateries in the area as I'll likely be taking my 5 yr. old offspring.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Markets

"Gastronomically deprived are of NY"?? Awwwww!

Wondertrev, according to 'new rules' you are not allowed to ridicule your own city, state or country otherwise you will be persecuted for life by TA readers, if you don't believe me ask Montreal's Local Expert, AudreyBella.

LOL just kidding.

It is a good idea to stay in Longueuil and using the metro services, if you are staying for more than 3-4 days then its cheaper to take a metro pass.

Marche AtWater would be easily accessible by metro and the nearest metro station is Lionel Groulx (not AtWater as per general assumption) but, right now due to the beginning of winter season Marche AtWater will not look as colourful as it appears during the summer / autumn time.

Marche Jean Talon, Cote des Neige, Cote Vertu are other places where you can get fresh fruits, groceries and cheese are also easily accessible by metro.

If you are more keen on getting Mexican Cheese which is used for tacos, you can check from the new authentic Mexican restaurant on 1850 St. Catherine street called "la Nacion" between St. Marc and St. Mathieu streets, metro station Guy-Concordia, ask for "Antonio" and he will tell you the name and addresses of Mexican Cheese dealers / wholesalers.

In Longueuil, near the metro station is a street called rue St. Charles, it has some very good authentic French restaurants, very casual and in very nice settings. Since it is only 10 minutes walking distance from metro Longueuil you must go there to experience the local taste.

Montreal
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Markets

Atwater is good but not THE place. One-stop shopping at Marche Jean Talon, hands down the best public market in Montreal located in our Little Italy. If you go http://maps.google.com/ & type 7075 Avenue Casgrain, Montreal, QC, Canada in the search you will get directions. It's also a few minutes walk from the Metro station De Castelnau/Jean-Talon. Another good link: http://www.montrealfood.com/jtalon.html. Hamel is hard to beat for cheese, don't miss the place inside where they have the spices & olive oils.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Markets

You can also get off and Mont Royal metro and turn right when you get to street level. Walk along Mont Royal and you will find many great delis, groceries, specialty shops and cafe's. I got an awsome deal on a big hunk of Gruyere cheese while there in may at a fromagerie. Also make sure to pick up some cheap maple syrup (in the tin).

Good luck!

Montreal, Quebec...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Markets

Jak1234, Upstate NY isn't NYC and yes, it looks deprived of... a lot of things :-)

Good cheeses : everywere. Try local cheese, they are often better than French cheese as they have not made an horrible transatlantic ride before you eat them. At Fromagerie Hamel they will be pleased to give you advice.

For food in general, Marche Jean-Talon is the best for sure. Bigger than Marche Atwater. And there is a shop there specialized in spice from all around the world (a little bit costly though).

If you look for upscale oddities, maybe Marche Atwater is better. Anyways, if I came here mainly for this, I'll do both.

For Mexican and Latin spices (all south america including Brazil) one of the best (central) spot is St-Laurent street between Mt-Royal and Prince-Arthur. And for casual eating with kids you can find something there (it's an hip street but family friendly).

If you park in Longueuil the Vieux-Longueuil is not that bad for food. But I have just been there once, so I can't give any advice.

Montreal
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Markets

good beer? I am the person for u...do u want adresses to buy beer and go or place to have a good one and eat a little?

Julie

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Markets

Julep,

am looking for places with good selection to bring back. The SAQ stores are quite disappointing.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Markets

If you're up in the Jean-Talon market area (which has an excellent spice store), take a walk east on Bélanger street to just past St-Denis -- there's a mexican/latino supermarket and bakery with tons of spices, sauces other strange stuff you won't find elsewhere. (You can also walk west and go to Milano's -- an italian supermarket with everything you could possibly want and then some.) A couple of blocks down the street, on the North side, is a Salvadoran restaurant that serves pupusas and tacos and is muy auténtico. (Mind you, forget about spices; it's not Mexican food!)

The shops on St-Laurent don't have quite the selection, but in particular, try the Libreria espagnol (above Roy). Then stop by La Vielle Europe, which is yet another heaven for cheeses, patés, sausages, strange and wonderful European deli stuff, chocolate, and coffee. Continue up you'll find a really dingy-looking Portuguese grocery store with excellent prices and a fairly good selection of strange foods in the middle aisle. Further up (closer to Mont Royal) there's another portuguese store (cleaner) and a latino bakery/supermarket.

BTW, if you like cheese, try Victor et Berthold -- a very nice raw milk cheese made right here in Quebec. Also ask after the chèvre noir and the Valbert -- yum yum. Be sure to buy your bread at Première Moisson (at either Jean Talon or Atwater markets) -- their "Fesses" (which means what you sit on, given its shape) is a delicious, lightly textured white bread. I also like the Lodève (more consistency, more sourdough taste) and the Bûche bio (covered with sesame seeds and much heartier, better with a chèvre or a terrine).

As for good beer -- any dépanneur or supermarket will have a selection of microbrewery beer. But your 5-year-old shouldn't be drinking the stuff, you know.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Markets

Oops... the pupuseria is further down Bélanger, past the latino supermarket. And Milano's doesn't have mexican stuff -- only italian, but tons of it.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Markets

Wonder,

Just saw another post of yours in the Plattsburgh forum... u live there? Any word on a Target opening in the mall?

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Markets

Audrey,

we keep hoping for the Target...