We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from airport to old town and back question

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from airport to old town and back question

We will be staying at Auberge du Vieux-Port when we visit in September and we will be taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel. I understand that there is a flat rate of $38.00 from the airport but can anyone tell me where the taxi's location will be outside of the airport please? We've never been to the YUL airport before and I'm not sure how easy it is to navigate. When leaving the hotel to head back to the airport, is there usually a long wait in between the call to the taxi and it showing up on the doorstep of the hotel? Will $7.00 be an appropriate tip for the driver?

Thanks for you help:)

gabbagabba

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from airport to old town and back question

It's only April and you're already nervous about getting lost at the airport? I'm glad I'm not travelling with you -- I'D be stressed out, and I'm a very calm person :)

Don't worry. the taxi stand is well marked and on the same level as the arrivals -- just head to your right before (or after) the doors to outside and you'll see it.

When you're leaving, the hotel will surely book a taxi for you before hand if you ask. And $7.00 is a very nice tip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from airport to old town and back question

Not nervous about getting lost just don't want to waste our time. I'm trying to plan a nice long weekend getaway for my husband and I, and I don't want the small stuff causing any unnecessary "hiccups", that's all... As for traveling with me, you might be pleasantly surprised :)

Thanks for the taxi stand info and I'll be sure to ask our hotel staff about getting a taxi for our return trip to the airport.

gabbagabba

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from airport to old town and back question

Hi GabbaGabba!

The YUL airport is small compared to other airports around the world. It is very easy to navigate through, there are many bilingual signs and people are friendly enough to direct you if needed.

There is usually little to no lineup for taxis. I remember comming to Las Vegas once and having the shock of seeing a taxi lineup of 20 min. Wow, i thought, this exists?

Standard tipping is 10-15%. 7$ is a very nice tip, the driver should be pleased.

Alternatively, i wanted to tell you that there is a new bus called the 737 that you can ride for a small fare. The fare is the cost of a 1 day tourist pass for public transit. It gives you unlimited access to metros and buses on the island as well. I think it's around 7$, give or take a few cents =)

Have a nice stay!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from airport to old town and back question

Thanks for the heads up about the 747 bus. Sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try and figure out how to get from the downtown bus depot to our hotel (Auberge de Vieux-Port).

Thanks again!

5. Re: Taxi from airport to old town and back question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 05:18