We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help getting from Trudeau airport to Vieux-Port Hotel

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Need help getting from Trudeau airport to Vieux-Port Hotel

We have decided to take the 747 airport shuttle from the Trudeau airport to our hotel (Auberge du Vieux-Port). I know that I can purchase a $7.00 ticket for the shuttle on the arrivals level of the airport and that the shuttle will take us to the central bus station. I also understand that the bus station is directly connected to the metro station and that from there, we will need to take a bus or train to get to old Montreal and our hotel. That's where I'm feeling lost. Is anyone familiar with this route?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,814 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help getting from Trudeau airport to Vieux-Port Hotel

First a bit of topography. Old Montreal is built over a moraine, Notre-Dame st sits on top of it and from the port the south/north streets are on ascending hill. North of Notre-Dame you have the opposite slope at the bottom of which sits the Ville-Marie expressway and the metro (subway) orange line. So the metro stations are not really into Old Mtl. To reach your hotel you will have to climb first to Notre-Dame st and then walk down to De-la-Commune st. The closest metro station is Champ-de-Mars but I don't suggest it since it is located where the expressway cease to be underground. So a kind of spaghetti mish mash of access and pedestrian tunnels to reach Saint-Antoine st. Better by next station, Place d'Armes, you climb the hill to Place d'Armes and Notre-Dame basilica and then go downhill to De-la-Commune and walk a few block east to get to your hotel.

As you see not the easiest thing if you have luggage but afterward you will be able to roam around the city with your one day ticket. Same for the day of your departure you can buy a $7 day ticket at all metro stations and you could roam around and finally take the 747 back to the airport..

Another possibility is the bus 515 that serves the Old Port and the Science Center with the stop there just a small hop to your hotel and... on flat land! It actually departs on De-Maisonneuve st right in front of the Station Centrale d'Autobus. Your pass will be good for that too but the only drawback is that departures are only every 20 minutes.

The best would really be to take a cab, this will cost you around $7 to $8 + tip.

Let us know how it went, specially if you took the 515.

By the way something totally out of context. The Auberge du Vieux Port is a really nice establishment but the building goes from De-la-Commune to Saint Paul sts and Saint-Paul st is very noisy at night. Even with double paned windows you might be disturbed so it would be much better to request a room facing De-la-Commune.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help getting from Trudeau airport to Vieux-Port Hotel

I'd suggest a cab, too... it'll only cost you about $5 or $6 and save some hassle -- it's really not that far.

You could catch the 515 Vieux-Montréal bus on Berri Street and Sainte-Catherine streets, so a block south of the bus station. (Just to make it REALLY confusing for tourists, who are the only ones, practically, who use this bus: there are 2 515 stops -- the Blue one is the one you want, and is the stop closest to the corner. The Yellow stop is more mid-block closer to the bus station, but that bus goes back through downtown, not through Old Montreal). You'd get off at Saint-Laurent and de la Commune, and then walk just a couple of blocks to your hotel.

You could also get off the 747 bus downtown and catch the 515 from there -- at Peel street, then walk couple of blocks north to the Infotouriste Centre just north of the park (where you can pick up a bunch of tourist information as you're waiting for the bus). Then catch the 515 (it's yellow this time), and it'll drop you off at the same place.

The easiest route, though it means a bit more walking (about 10 blocks or so): get off the 747 bus at Saint-Laurent, then walk down through Chinatown and into Old Montreal that way.

Edited: 27 April 2010, 19:06
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help getting from Trudeau airport to Vieux-Port Hotel

Thanks for your suggestions gentlemen. It sounds like the taxi is our best option. Much less hassle and a chance to get our mini vacation started a little sooner... Thanks for the heads up on the noise level for our hotel too. I'll be sure to request a room facing de la Commune!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,814 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help getting from Trudeau airport to Vieux-Port Hotel

Good move! Yes it will leave you with more time to visit on the day of your arrival and yes, you will be able to use your $7 pass for all city buses and metro all day long.

I don't know at what time you are coming and how many days you will spend with us but after settling in your room you could then walk to Place d'Armes or Champ de Mars metro stations, transfer to the green line at Berri / Uquam and go directly to the Botanical Garden and Olympic complex (station Pie IX) and then come back on the green line to downtown for dinner (exit at Peel or Mc Gill) then even return to your hotel from Bonaventure station to either of the two above mentioned stations near Old Mtl)

That would make your $7 a very sound investment and the next day, with no rides on public transportation (unless you buy regular tickets) you could focus on Old Mtl or even take the ferry to Ile Sainte-Hélène.

By the way the staff at Auberge du Vieux-Port is great and very helpful. Due to the bulk of the building (former XIX Century wharehouses) beside rooms facing Saint-Paul or De-La-Commune there might be some facing inner courtyards (this is just a supposition, not a fact).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help getting from Trudeau airport to Vieux-Port Hotel

We land at 9:08 am on a Friday morning and are in town until 4:40 pm on the following Monday. Just a short getaway. The itinerary that you suggested sounds terrific. Are there any moderately priced restaurants that you would recommend downtown? We like pretty much anything and are always up for trying something new.

Thanks again:)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help getting from Trudeau airport to Vieux-Port Hotel

Sorry for double posting but I see that I forgot to comment on the hotel remarks..

When I booked the room, I asked for a room that faces the river. Glad to hear that that is the quiet side of the hotel. The other hotel I considered was the Le Petit Hotel but the river view at the Auberge du Vieux-Port seemed to good to pass up. Hope I made the right decision. Any thoughts?

7. Re: Need help getting from Trudeau airport to Vieux-Port Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2010, 05:18