We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sports bar in Montreal to watch NHL & UEFA?

Woodbridge, ON
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Sports bar in Montreal to watch NHL & UEFA?

My friends and I are visiting Montreal this coming weekend (May 21st) and would like to watch game 4 of the NHL Conference Finals between Montreal and Philadelphia at a sports bar with big screen TVs. Also, around the same time the hockey game starts, the UEFA Champions League soccer Final is also on. So a sports bar that would show both games would be awesome.

Although I have visited Montreal dozens of times, I have never gone to a sports bar. We are staying downtown at Hotel de La Montagne, so a place close to the hotel would be preferred, but we are driving to Montreal, so we will have a car and would drive or cab it to a good sports bar if necessary.

Any help would be appreciated.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sports bar in Montreal to watch NHL & UEFA?

Nearby you have Cage au Sport, a chain of sports resto-bar. They are packed on game night but offer specials too.

Another popular spot is Les 3 Brasseurs. I don't know if every location has flat screens but i'm going to wager they do downtown. They offer pub food as well. There is a location not too far from de la montagne.

Peel pub will show the hockey game. I don't like them as much but it's near your hotel.

Most of these will be hockey oriented. i don't know if Cage au Sport might leave one screen with soccer.

There are many pubs along Bishop street. Almost all are equipped with flat screens. They are not as popular venues for sports events but if you find the other spots too crowded or want soccer, this could be an option. This isn't my forte so maybe another TA will be more useful.

To locate all these, use Google maps. It's a great tool to get familiar with!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sports bar in Montreal to watch NHL & UEFA?

Yes La Cage Aux Sports has an outlet near your hotel and, if you call them a bit in advance, they might put one screen on soccer.

But after the events that happened last week after the last game of the Canadiens in the division semi finals (party that went wrong and crazy on Saint-Catherine st, pillage and plundering) I don't know if this would be the best time to look at a match in a sport bar downtown and then become involuntarypart of the mob. You might be better off to look at some locations for both Cage Aux Sports and 3 Brasseurs...

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sports bar in Montreal to watch NHL & UEFA?

word of advice...get there early. Bars (even terrible ones that are normally empty) are packed for the playoffs lately. For a 7:00 game, if you go to a bar after 5:00, there's a good chance you wont get a seat. That said, Ye Olde Orchard is an awesome pub right across the street from your hotel, great food and company...though they definitely won't have any TV playing the soccer game, in fact it'll be hard to find a bar with any TV playing soccer (i was at a bar the other day, someone asked the waitress to turn one TV to a soccer game...she burst out laughing)

enjoy

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sports bar in Montreal to watch NHL & UEFA?

I thought that Ye Olde Orchard was on Monkland ave in N.D.G. and that Hotel de la Montagne is downtown. Facing H de la M is Hotel Vogue... Did Ye Olde open an outlet there?

Anyways I think that if you don't mind goint to Ye Olde N.D.G. by car that would be a nice place outside of downtown and, if indeed, they have a second operation on De-la-Montagne or Crescent sts then I will also recommend that since you will be able to get quickly back to your hotel without crossing Saint-Catherine if things get sour after the match.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sports bar in Montreal to watch NHL & UEFA?

Hi Woodbridge-Dude76,

Welcome to the MONTREAL TRAVEL FORUM.

Lol, if you had asked this Question in any other city on the planet... there would have been "no problem" getting to see the UEFA Soccer Game... BUT as you are in Montreal... and Hockey is a "religion" here... IF Les Canadiens & Soccer is on at the same time... then hockey is going to win hands-down.

If you happen to see the soccer game that you have in mind... then it will be pure luck (and karma).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sports bar in Montreal to watch NHL & UEFA?

yep a ye olde opened about 5 years ago on de la Montagne right above St Catherine...and another one on Prince Arthur right off St Laurent

Woodbridge, ON
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sports bar in Montreal to watch NHL & UEFA?

Thank you everyone for your responses. I guess the soccer game might not happen, but I am more interested in the Canadiens game anyway! Go Habs!

Montreal
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sports bar in Montreal to watch NHL & UEFA?

soccer on a game nite of the Eastern Conference in MONTREAL for the first time since 1993? plllllleeeeease.

Champs on St-Laurent is your best bet to catch UEFA on a habs game nite... you'll be a crow-hop away from the Bell Centre, there's no chance you'll see UEFA at Cage Aux Sports, nor Ye Olde...

so take a super short cab ride over to Champs, in "Lil Portugal" and witness true futbol fans enjoy both games.

gluck!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sports bar in Montreal to watch NHL & UEFA?

The Champs suggestion will be your best bet for seeing the "futbol" game as well as the Canadiens but I would give them a call anyway to make sure. No use going there if they don't show it if you have Ye Olde across the street!

If you do go to Champs you could actually go by cab instead of takeing your car. It doesn't cost a lot and you will avoid parking headaches on Saint-Laurent + when you come back if any "action" is happening on Sainte-Catherine you will be able to be dropped on Sherbrooke st and walk to your hotel, not waiting until it clears up in your car.

But if soccer takes second seat then Ye Old would be your best bet for all the reasons mentioned above. I always walk on De-le-Montagne and take the side door to Ogilvy's and never noticed a Ye Olde outlet there! Next time I will even make a detour to check.

Montreal
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sports bar in Montreal to watch NHL & UEFA?

Ye Olde Orchard is below Ste-Catherine on De La Montagne, in the basement of O'Sullivan College (aka Concordia University)... When I was in high school in the 90s, we used to frequent a bar named O'Blitz... if anyone remembers this watering hole, the same locale is now Ye Olde Orchard. Great spot for wings...

Will be jammed like its St-Patrick's Day...

1189 Rue de la Montagne, Montreal - (514) 874-1569