We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help from local- what is this? What am I buying?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Need help from local- what is this? What am I buying?

I just purchased tickets to this festival.. Can locals tell me if it is worth it? I saw it in my Montreal Top 10 book.

I know there are fireworks but what else am I paying for?

internationaldesfeuxlotoquebec.com/en/defaul…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help from local- what is this? What am I buying?

Tickets to see the fireworks from the grandstands, up close. Full day admission to the amusement park for the day as well as the rides.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help from local- what is this? What am I buying?

Thanks, can you also clarify for me how the competition works? Is it one country per night? or different versions each sitting?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help from local- what is this? What am I buying?

One country per night, every Saturday night until mid August when they award a winner with the exception of the second week of July where they have a tribute to Celine Dion. See http://goo.gl/YlTA for more information on how the competition works.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help from local- what is this? What am I buying?

Haha Sunryz710,

You get a thumbs up for making me laugh on that title.

Yes, the fireworks competition is one country per night. They have several criteria for the judges. One of them is synchronization to the music, but i am fuzzy on the others. The result is spectacular. It's much better then some random explosion of colors in the sky. They put incredible effort into it.

As for the tickets, they will grant you access to the seating area on the LaRonde grounds. From this viewpoint, you can hear the music and see all the low fireworks in addition to the high ones.

Enjoy the show!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help from local- what is this? What am I buying?

The show is cool, and if you're getting access to the amusement park it's fine. But let's just say locals don't buy the tickets. :)

The way the show works, it's done over the water. The amusement park (Called La Ronde and owned by Six Flags) is on an island where the show is done so it has the best view. The seats you bought will have speakers set up to listen to the music with which it will be synchronized to. The music also plays on public radio, so you can watch it from anywhere while listening to the radio. This is why locals don't typically pay (unless we're spending a day at the park anyways)

if you're thinking of spending the day at the amusement park, keep the tickets. If you had other plans for the day time, then you might want to refund them. You can catch the fireworks by following the crowds around 9:30-10pm. Go anywhere near the water, close to Jacques Cartier Bridge. It's south of the gay village. People will have radios there playing the music, sitting in the parking lots and the grass.

6. Re: Need help from local- what is this? What am I buying?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2010, 05:18