We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vermont-Montreal.....Border crossing?

East Coast
Level Contributor
116 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Vermont-Montreal.....Border crossing?

I am planning on renting a place somewhere in VT and wanted to do a day trip to Montreal. Is this feasible? As I read stories about borrder crossings-its kind of scaring me off based on traffic, length of time etc.

Has anyone found this to be the case lately? Bringing the passport is no problem. Its the long traffic lines. I read that they are suspicious if you try to use a smaller crossing...is that true? I just want to go visit Canada for my first time from VT.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,294 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vermont-Montreal.....Border crossing?

Hi morpion6;

Customs on both sides of the border are suspicious...that's their job. You'll most likely be one of the 99% of the people that cross the border and will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Best Regards

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vermont-Montreal.....Border crossing?

Lines at very small border crossing are not stupendous in my experience, quite the contrary. For example the Lacolle/Champlain borders can be totally clogged while the stations on the east, respectively 1 and 3 miles away have almost no waits. For that leave highway 89 at Swanton and take road 78 on the Champlain islands. T hen 2 to rouses Point or or other small crossings in the area. Then it will be very easy to reach highway 15 in the province of Québec. Really do check maps.google.com and you will see all the details.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,329 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vermont-Montreal.....Border crossing?

It depends where in Vermont you are and will cross. I cross the border yesterday afternoon and was the only car.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vermont-Montreal.....Border crossing?

Vermont is a big place. I think you might be underestimating distance.

Also, note that coming into canada for leisure with a stay under 24h may raise some red flags and you have higher chances at customs of being searched.

If at all possible, i would recommend you stay one night in montreal (or a subburd since you'll hae a car) to enjoy your stay better.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vermont-Montreal.....Border crossing?

Neither border crossing, at either Route 89 or 91 takes that long IMHO. Going into Canada is usually quicker also than getting back. With your passport it should be no problem.

Enjoy!!!

JDP

Newark, New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Vermont-Montreal.....Border crossing?

anyone cross into Canada at Alburg Springs or Morses Line? Does this border shut down or can you cross over and report to another area?

7. Re: Vermont-Montreal.....Border crossing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 17:35
8. Re: Vermont-Montreal.....Border crossing?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 17:35
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vermont-Montreal.....Border crossing?

Yes...crossed at both. Never a line. They may not be open 24 hours though...check the hours.

10. Re: Vermont-Montreal.....Border crossing?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2011, 06:20