We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal lodging: where should i stay for comfy, chic, cool

venice
3 posts
Save Topic
Montreal lodging: where should i stay for comfy, chic, cool

So many choices! My bf and I are travelling to Montreal for a week in late Oct. Want to divide our time between 2 hotels to try new places. Considering Place de arms, The W, Gault, St Paul, Auberge Du Vieux Port (Loft or Hotel?), Le Crystal, Les Passants Du Sans Soucy, Opus, Bonaparte + Petit.

Anybody have an awesome experience or awful one to help narrow down my list? Many reviews are all over the place.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal lodging: where should i stay for comfy, chic, cool

Hmm.... while your question is a good one, I'm not so sure that yet another opinion here will help that much -- especially since you list so many hotels and most of us who read this section are locals who only visit these places, rather then stay there all night. So although it's an unhelpful answer, I really think the best thing to do is to read the reviews left by people who have stayed there, and make up your mind that way and by looking at the pictures.

I's say the reviews vary so much for a variety of reasons. Some people are pickier than others, for example. And most hotels have "good" rooms and "bad" rooms So if a picky person ends up in a bad room, you can bet you'll get a one-hoot rating. I say learn to read between the lines, and know what bothers you and what doesn't. For example, the Gault is on a particularly quiet sidestreet of Old Montreal, so good for those who like quiet. But it's also decorated in a rather extreme minimalist style, so not the, ah, warmest feel to the room. Similarly, Le Crystal is a big new high-rise hotel-condo downtown, so a very different experience from say, Bonaparte with its old-style furnishings and rooms.... which is better? Only you know for you.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,011 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal lodging: where should i stay for comfy, chic, cool

I exactly second Tristou. Will just add that beside the reviews you also have a look at the different websites. I will suppose that you don't want to move from one hotel to another just to be again in a very similar decor! Boutiques hotels used to have personality but nowadays everybody is jumping in the bandwagon with white bedspreads tightly tucked, dark furniture, large windows and separate showers. Heck even the regulars chains are renovating their rooms the same style thus reducing the amount of rooms with 2 double beds (boutique design takes a lot of space).

So let"s say that once you have picked two similar properties for one leg of your sojourn and another two in a different style for the second leg then you could come back to us and we could get you some local hints. For example it is a known fact that the glass bottomed swimming pool located exactly over the lobby at the Westin had leaking problems over and over...

My soft heart is prevailing and I will give you one other name to search for, same kind of small boutique hotel but the exact opposite of minimalist and most movie stars shooting in Mtl stays there: the Auberge Pierre du Calvet in Old Montreal.

Have a fruitful search!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal lodging: where should i stay for comfy, chic, cool

Hi Nitespa (BTW, cute User Name)

Welcome to the MONTREAL TRAVEL FORUM.

And I see you are new to TripAdvisor’s FORUMS… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well!

My colleagues TRISTOU and RICKB make excellent points… first off going to be hard to find TA Local Advisors or DEs for Montreal, that have stayed at an assortment of Hotels (you want to compare in total 10 properties !!)

Your best bet for understanding the “current” situation at any Accommodations is always the TA REVIEWS Section, which an ongoing source of info, coming in from a variety of sources (Fellow Travellers like yourself).

You have to remember that the Local Advisors & DEs here are just TA Members like yourself, and volunteers who answer Questions… so no Travel Agents to help you sort thru all the choices… that said, as you are a NEW TA Member and I know how confusing / overwhelming this Website can be (millions of entries) I’ll give you a hand understand how some of it works with this post…

You’ll want to follow along on the REVIEWS Section with my first detailed description… after that I’ve abbreviated the key points. A property could be rising or falling in the Rankings based the results of recent REVIEWS submitted… or if no one has written a REVIEW in some time.

As of today (Saturday, September 18, 2010) around 10 PM EDT the Rankings on TA for the Accommodations you are considering are ranked as follows…

# 2 – AUBERGE BONAPART = Ranked at # 2 out of 166 Hotels for Montreal. Has NO Star Rating (probably because it is an Independent Hotel). This Hotel has 4-1/2 HOOTS for Satisfaction as awarded by TA Members like yourself who have submitted HOTEL REVIEWS. Todate there are 135 Reviews, of that 101 gave it an Excellent and 27 gave it an Excellent… which accounts for its 96% Thumbs Up recommendation. The latest Review is dated September 15, 2010. A TA TOP VALUE HOTEL.

# 5 – HOTEL GAULT = Has NO Star Rating (probably because it is an Independent Hotel)… has 4-1/2 HOOTS for TA Satisfaction… 94% Thumbs Up recommendation. This Hotel is a 2010 TA TRAVELLERS’ CHOICE WINNER FOR LUXURY.

# 6 – W MONTREAL = A 4 Star Hotel (as awarded by the Hotel Industry based on facilities)… has 4-1/2 HOOTS for TA Satisfacton… 84% Thumbs Up recommendation.

# 8 – LE PETIT HOTEL = Has NO Star Rating (probably because it is an Independent Hotel)… has 4-1/2 HOOTS for TA Satisfaction… 90% Thumbs Up recommendation.

# 17 – HOTEL LE CRYSTAL = A 4-1/2 Star Hotel… has 4-1/2 HOOTS for TA Satisfaction… 88% Thumbs Up recommendation.

# 20 – LE PLACE D’ARMES HOTEL & SUITES = A 4 Star Hotel… has 4-1/2 HOOTS for TA Satisfaction… 89% Thumbs Up recommendation.

# 29 – HOTEL ST PAUL = A 4 Star Hotel… has 4 HOOTS for TA Satisfaction… 83% Thumbs Up recommendation.

# 32 – AUBERGE DU VIEUX-PORT = A 3-1/2 Star Hotel… has 4 HOOTS for TA Satisfaction… 86% Thumbs Up recommendation.

# 54 – OPUS HOTEL MONTREAL = A 4 Star Hotel… has 3-1/2 HOOTS for TA Satisfaction… 77% Thumbs Up recommendation.

# 10 – AUBERGE LES PASSANTS DU SANS SOUCY = Ranked at # 10 out of 136 B&Bs and Inns for Montreal. Has NO Star Rating (Independent Listing). This Property has 4-1/2 HOOTS for Satisfaction as awarded by TA Members… it has a 96% Thumbs Up recommendation.

MY TAKE…

You are all over the map, you are going to have to sort out what it is important to you… and do some research / reading.

(A) - Hotel or B&B. Big difference, not every Traveller likes both kinds of Accommodations… make sure you know what style you prefer.

(B) - Of your remaining list (9 Hotels)… You have items that need to be looked at in each of the separate categories… (3) Independents – (1) 4-1/2 Star Hotel – (4) 4 Star Hotels – and (1) 3-1/2 Star Hotel.

And rankings that span from # 2 to # 54… so not really equal properties at all.

(C) - I suggest now like RICKB that you spend some time pouring over the various Hotel Websites… to make a decision on what it is and what it isn’t that you want / are looking for.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 19 September 2010, 03:55
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal lodging: where should i stay for comfy, chic, cool

I have stayed at the W and it is certainly "chic" and "cool". Everything is very sleek and dark. A popular night club is in the hotel

The voyeur showers were an interesting touch in the rooms.

The only thing I didn't like about the place was the lighting in the rooms was very dim. I like to read at night and had a hard time doing so as it was so dark.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreal lodging: where should i stay for comfy, chic, cool

I will join my voices to Tristou, rickb, Wine4-2. My opinion on these hotels is based of reviews from travellers, on knowing their locations well and seeing their lobbies (in some cases). The TA section Montreal Hotels to your left is great for helping you choose. Do not pay too much attention to the price listing, it's a average and not for your specific dates. DO pay attention to the reviews and the pictures section.

My recommendation would be to try hotels in two locations. You have many choices listed in Old Montreal, so i would pick ONE of those. Then pick another, near downtown or Le Plateau. Le Crystal, which you have listed, is a really nice hotel and is downtown, near fantastic shopping and the party district!

Best of luck!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreal lodging: where should i stay for comfy, chic, cool

We stayed several times at the Bonaparte. The rooms are fine, wood floors with brick walls. The 2 best rooms are on the 5th floor, both of which have terraces with chairs and a table overlooking the garden in back of Notre Dame. Very nice.

But the best part of the Bonaparte is the restaurant. An overnight stay includes a terrific breakfast. And a dinner at boaparte is very hard to top.

Finally, I should also add that the Auberge does include outdoor but secure parking at a lot just up the street for $15.00 per day which is a very reasonable price.

JDP

new Orleans
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreal lodging: where should i stay for comfy, chic, cool

I totally agree with Wine 4-2. He has picked some of the top hotels and b&b in the city. You need to determine where you want to stay in Montreal even though the subways are very easy and handy to use. Also look at how much time you will be staying for. Hotel tax is about 16% and parking is about $25 per day or more. You will not need a car unless you just must drive. Cab ride is $38 american from airport.

We stayed at a condo for 4 nights in old town and it was perfect for us..not hip or chick but like home. We were on St Paul west near the port.

Be sure and eat at Au Pied de Cochon and eat the head.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montreal lodging: where should i stay for comfy, chic, cool

Hi Nitespa,

Just to clarify a couple of points that COFFEESHOP311 made…

A flat rate cab ride from Pierre Elliott Trudeau Airport (Montreal International) to Downtown will run you $ 38 CDN (we don’t advise using American Money as you won’t receive FAIR EXCHANGE for it... best to use Credit Cards or an ATM for your Currency needs).

For more info see the CANADA - TRAVELLER ARTICLE entitled *Banks & Money* = tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s601/Canada:B…

The new 747 Airport to Downtown Bus is a better deal $ 7 if you don’t have too much baggage.

For more info see the MONTREAL – TRAVELLER ARTICLE entitled *Arriving & Departing* = tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155032-s301/Montreal…

Hotel’s in Montreal are subject to 3 Levels of Taxes… a 3% Hotel Tax (Municipal) a 5% Goods & Service Tax (GST = Federal) and 7.5% Quebec Sales Tax (QST = Provincial… this one is compounded on top of the other Taxes)… so in effect you’ll indeed be paying 16% Tax.

When it comes to all other purchases in Quebec it works out to a Value Added Tax of aprox 12.875% on top of the prices you see listed (GST & QST)

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

venice
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Montreal lodging: where should i stay for comfy, chic, cool

Thank you everyone for all the lovely advice. We are so looking forward to our trip and, as luck would have it, Montreal Tourism is running some great specials in October at several of the hotels we like! 50% off a second night and great foodie/ spa specials too.

We have narrowed it down to Le Crystal in the downtown area (or Opus as a close second) and still choosing between Place de Armes or Hotel Le Paul. Opinions on either are welcome.

Gault and Le Germaine were contenders-- but they are not part of the specials!

Looking forward to a fantastic time with all you friendly Canadiens! And luckily we have family who will be picking us up from the airport.

cheers.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montreal lodging: where should i stay for comfy, chic, cool

Hi Nitespa,

You are very welcome... glad to be of help. And thank you for your kind words... we all hope that you have a nice visit in Montreal.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 30 September 2010, 02:52