We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to see on drive Montreal to Albany

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
222 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
what to see on drive Montreal to Albany

Hello,

We are renting a car (Hertz was the only one I found for International) and after 4 days in Montreal will drive down to Albany the second week in October.

Any ideas on places to stop along the way? Lunch spots, scenic spots, little cute towns? Orchard farms?

Thank you!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to see on drive Montreal to Albany

I like Saratoga

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
222 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to see on drive Montreal to Albany

That's funny - - we're ending up there for a wedding! So, we'll have a few days in Saratoga. Glad to know it's a good spot. I hear it's beautiful.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,438 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to see on drive Montreal to Albany

You are the first person that will actually rent a car from Montreal to NYC that we know of. We had requesst for infos many times but it always ended up that it was waaaaaay too expensive due to the drop off fees. Don't forget that the car will have to be towed again to Mtl. I really suggest that you double check everything and also do some searches on the province of Qc forums for the previous postings pertaining to the exact same topic.

Hertz might allow international travel with their cars but I am sure that they will hit you with a big hammer once you drop off the car.

So the best would be to take the bus to Albany and rent a car there. But if you want to visit a bit on the way then you could take the bus only to Platsburgh and rent there, you will be in New-York State already. Even more touring, than take the bus to Burlington and from there take the ferry across Lake Champlain, visit Ausable Chasm if still open and then on the highway. Another stop possible at Lake Placid and, yes Saratoga. In Saratoga you can even drink the mineral waters and take therapeutic baths!

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
222 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to see on drive Montreal to Albany

Rickb - - it IS very expensive!!!!!!!! Thank you for the suggestion to double-triple check no other fees other than the astronomical ones we are being charged to drop off in Albany.

I'll let you all know how it goes (fingers crossed).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to see on drive Montreal to Albany

Hi Patuli,

Welcome to the MONTREAL TRAVEL FORUM.

This is one occasion where I believe that taking public transit across the Border into the USA is warranted.

The best things to see and do will be found on the US Side… South of Montreal to the Border is only the very flat farmland that exists on the Prehistoric Champlain Seabed. Nothing really worth a stop enroute towards Plattsburgh NY or Burlington VT (your choice). So the extra expense of renting a car JUST to have it in this corridor isn’t worth the money in my opinion.

In either of those bigger cities you’ll be able to rent a car for a lot less money (no International Drop Fees)… and if you pick up the car in Plattsburgh you’ll be picking up and dropping off in the same state (so even lower charges).

Things to see once across the border include…

Lake Champlain Islands – Burlington – Lake Champlain – Ausable Chasm – The Adirondacks – Whiteface Mountain – Lake Placid (site of 2 Winter Olympics = 1932 & 1980) – Lake George – Albany

You can find info on all of these on their respective TA TRAVEL PAGES and FORUMS

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

montreal
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what to see on drive Montreal to Albany

Saratoga Springs is a real gem with wonderful architecture, good restaurants, cafes, etc. all surrounded in beautiful settings.

I recommend you first stop at the Visitor Centre, which is across from Congress Park. There, you will find all the info you will need: architectural walks, restaurants, shops, things to see and so on.

The scenery on Hway 87 turns very pretty south of Plattsburgh. Highway 9 is also very nice and will take you through Lake George, a resort town that is usually pretty quiet at that time of year.

As mentioned above another option would be Vermont, Hwy 89 to Burlington, then Historic 7 and 7 A to Bennington where you can cross to New York State right to Albany. You could have lunch in Downtown Burlington and afternoon coffee and snack at the village bookstore in Manchester which is really worth a stop. Vermont is in my personal opinion one of the prettiest states in the US, that is if you like true country, green rolling hills, green mountains, small villages, cows grazing in pastures, covered bridges, etc.

But then again, you might have to pay an enormous drop off charge since you are crossing states. Also, the drive from Montreal to the US border is boring. And if you also want to see Saratoga, you will have to go back up north. Someone on this forum might be able to suggest another place where you can cross to NY.

Have a great trip!

7. Re: what to see on drive Montreal to Albany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 04:17