We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Montreal to Florida

Iva
Montreal
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Montreal to Florida

Have any of you driven to Florida from Montreal? What was your experience? Would you do it again? It's a 24-hr. drive, I am not sure if I could manage sitting in the car for 2 days.

Iva

ornithorynx@canada.c...
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Montreal to Florida

Never done it. I think it might be more than 24 hours because of heavy traffic and the 55mph spped limit in some states. I understand that most people that do it take 3 days.

I think this only makes senses if you take extended vacations or are a snowbird. I would not do it unless I went there for at least 3 weeks.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Montreal to Florida

Iva,

I am glad you are asking this question. I myself have been on a bus ride from Montreal to Florida back in 1998 and swear to NEVER do it again via bus. However I am considering driving down this summer with a car, and I don't think it would be too too bad depending on your sched. What I mean is that we plan on stopping here and there on the way IF we do drive down. (i.e NYC, Virginia, Atlanta) Also depends on how many drivers you are too, you can probably get to Orlando in about 24-27 hours but that depends on traffic.

When do you plan on doing this?? Let me know!

Iva
Montreal
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Montreal to Florida

I plan to go first week of March for 11 days. I was thinking of doing one stopover in Virginia and then go down to Keys (got a good deal on a hotel). The reason I don't want to fly is that at this time of the year the weather can be tricky. If it's below 20 degrees, I won't go. I cancel the hotel reservation and won't lose any money.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Montreal to Florida

Oh my god, if you are driving all the way to the keys its gonna be a LONG drive. My word of advice if you want to save on the airfare, drive to Burlington, Vermont and fly from there. You can leave your car at the airport for about 10$ a day, which isn't too bad considering you might be saving about 300$ on the airfare! I do that all the time. Check expedia for flights out of Burlington, I am already checking for my summer trip and I am not kidding when I say that I am saving about 400$ on airfare by flying out of Burlington. Another word of advice, the cheapest bet is to fly to Fort Lauderdale and then drive to Key West, you will have the most gorgeous drive. You'll thank me for telling you this!!! ;)

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, I love Florida, its my fave vacation spot :)

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Montreal to Florida

You might also consider Amtrak's Autotrain. You drive to DC, load your car on the train, and ride the rails to Florida.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Montreal to Florida

Thanks for that info wonder, I will definitely check it out! Was in your neck of the woods on Wednesday, looks like Best Buy might shed some light on that mall..... I am praying hard for a Target!

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Montreal to Florida

We hit a Target in Fort Worth,TX over Christmas. It's not Nordstom but it's much nicer than Wal-Mart. Keep your fingers crossed.

8. Re: Driving from Montreal to Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2006, 04:50
Montreal
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Montreal to Florida

From Montreal, if you take the Champlain border and drive non-stop to Orlando it will take you more or less 24 hours of driving time.

Its an easy road, with 6.5 hours to NY then on your 10th hour you will be near Washington, 18 hours later in South Carolina and entering FLA on 19-20 hours.

Just keep in mind, Washington and NY area are crowded with traffic. Try not to be in Washington during rush hours. Same for NYC. IF you leave at 6PM you will cross the moutain at night but will be passing NYC during the night without traffic, and mostly will arrive in washington area around 4AM with much less traffic (so crowded that even at 4 am traffic is surprising).

Other alternative is to take an alternative route through 1000 island and avoid washington and NYC

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Montreal to Florida

Unless you are traveling for an extended stay . . . don't drive it. The earlier posts are correct. It's 2 very long days with no traffic delays or 3 pretty long days . . . each way! The auto train during the winter can be quite expensive but does eliminate 800 miles of driving. There are much better options. First, WestJet, a discount Canadian carrier has introduced non stop flights to Florida from Montreal. It's a great airline and the prices are often less than half of Air Canada or other carriers. Car rentals are very reasonable in Florida so why not fly and rent? The suggestion of driving to Burlington is also correct . . . those flights are pretty cheap. If you're nervous about flying in the winter why not take a bus or train from Montreal to New York and then catch a flight to Florida? Those flights are often very affordable and the trip to New York by either bus or train is quite manageable. I'm not sure where you are going in Florida but be sure to check the fares to surrounding cities as well. For instance, sometimes the least expensive way to get to Tampa is to fly to Orlando. For Miami, consider Ft Myers also. Good luck.