We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary from CT to Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary from CT to Montreal

Hi all,

We are planning to drive up from CT to Montreal tomorrow and would love recommendations on a good place to sleep appr halfway up.It's supposed to be a 7 hr drive so maybe 150-200 miles north would be a good stopping point? We are a family of 2 adults and 3 kids- ages 22, 19, 16.and are experienced world travelers.

Also, hotel and sightseeing recommendations would be much appreciated! Budget is not a problem...we are looking for a quality, charming experience and some of us speak fluent French.

Many thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary from CT to Montreal

Well you won't have to use your French so much on your route since the US/Canada border is less than 50 miles from Montreal. Most of your trip will be in the US!

From Connecticut (don't know what town exactly) the best would be to reach I 90 and just past Albany take I 87 all the way to the border where it will become highway 15 in the province of Québec.

Almost halfway through I would really suggest Saratoga Springs. If budget is not an issue then there are many historical properties in town, the name that comes to my mind at the moment is the Adelphi but there are many others as Saratoga used to be the summer destination for the rich planters before Civil War. It is still very chic for some part of the summer, during the race season, and many old money families still have great victorian mansions in town. It is also a thermal town with many sources where you can "take the waters" and also a whole thermal complex with swimming pool etc. Of course many restaurants and cafés around too!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary from CT to Montreal

OOps! I wrote The Adelphi because it was the first thing that came to my mind but, aftewr checking, it seems that it is closed during winter. But there are many other choices around and I reallly prefer the small chic city charm of Saratoga than the ski stations just a bit north like Lake Placid.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary from CT to Montreal

Well the first question is what route do you plan on driving up to Montreal, 87, 91 or 89? I agree with rickb about Saratoga Springs, or even Lake George if heading up 87. If going up 89 or 91, White River Junction would be a good stop, though across the river in Lebanon, NH actually has better hotels/motels. Another 60 miles north there is a very nice Quality Inn in St. Johnsbury. If taking onto 89 from 91 then Burlington has a great Sheraton just off the highway.

As for a place to stay in Montreal, downtown at this late date might be your bestr bet. The Fairmont Queen Elizabeth is very nice, as is the Marriott Chateau Champlain, Hilton, or Sheraton, all within a close proximity, and just off the freeway once you enter Montreal.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary from CT to Montreal

I was thinking that you needed hotel suggestions only for your overnight on the way.to Montreal.

If money is not an issue then Montreal has plenty of very top grade boutique hotels but those are more geared to young couples and not kids. Well 22 and 19 would certainly appreciate those. So the best of the lot is Le Saint-James and there are some more around Old Mtl: Saint-Sulpice, Place d'Armes, Gaould and you can certainly find more looking at the hotels and reviews sections on this site.

Some larger hotels also want to hop on the boutique bandwagon trend. One that come to mind is the W.

Finally a tad bit less luxurious but with a suite that might accomodate all the family more easily: Le Square Philips.

5. Re: Help with itinerary from CT to Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2011, 06:23