We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Chateau Champlain or Marriott Springhill Suites

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Chateau Champlain or Marriott Springhill Suites

Just booked at the Marriott Chateau Champlain for a 5 night stay with my family in June. But, just saw comments recommending the Marriott Springhill Suites in Old Montreal instead.

If you have stayed at and/or seen both. Please give me some help/comments/recommendations.

Mainly, Which one has,

More Character and a better location for walking to sites and meals and also near public transport.

Found it helpful that the Chateau Champlain has an underground mall and train station.

Thank you!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Chateau Champlain or Marriott Springhill Suites

I say stick with the Chateau Champlain. Have stayed there many times and yes it has more character. The room windows are a bit unique also. The Springhill Suites is close to Old Montreal and all its sights, but the Champlain is also close to the metro, downtown areas, and yes the Underground City and train.

JDP

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Chateau Champlain or Marriott Springhill Suites

Thank you JDP

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Chateau Champlain or Marriott Springhill Suites

The springhill is not close to old Montreal, it is in the heart of old Montreal. I would stay there over te the Marriott chateau Champlain unless I were travelling on business.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Chateau Champlain or Marriott Springhill Suites

Hi TravelingfromTX,

Welcome to the MONTREAL TRAVEL FORUM

It will depend a lot on what type of experience you want... Old Montreal certainly has a lot more charm... very nice if one has never been to Montreal previously.

BUT that is about it...

Based on your list you'll find that Chateau Champlain is more centrally located, has better transportation, is close to a variety of areas (Old Montreal being just one section in Downtown Montreal) good for Restaurants, Entertainment, and the Metro (no Metro in Old Montreal).

On the otherhand, Old Montreal is quite pretty in the summertime.. and you won't have to fight winter's awful weather to get to and from the Metro (which will then take you anywhere else you want to go).

It really is about what you prefer as a Traveller... suggest you spend some time looking at the Websites and a map of Montreal (GOOGLE MAPS will give you lots of info... Satelite & Street Views will help you to actually "see" what the area is like).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Chateau Champlain or Marriott Springhill Suites

Most of us are local, we have stayed at neither. That being said, the Sprillhill suites is definitely newer and in old Montreal. The Chateau Champlain has gone through a number of management companies over the last few years. The Chateau Champlain is in the lower part of downtown Montreal, connected directly to a metro station. The Springhill is in Old Montreal with all it's atmosphere, but further from the metro.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Chateau Champlain or Marriott Springhill Suites

If we wanted to walk to sites and dinners or get there easily by public transport, which would be better. The Springhill Suites here in Texas are like motels, which is throwing me also.

Thank you!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Chateau Champlain or Marriott Springhill Suites

They are both good locations.

Here is a streetview of the front of the hotel from another street (since there is no streetview of that street. http://goo.gl/maps/07Eb

It is DEFINITELY not a motel. Have a look at their website at http://goo.gl/7vOGR for some pictures.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott Chateau Champlain or Marriott Springhill Suites

While I agree the Champlain is a great choice, I'd cast a vote for Springhill Suites simply because it's in Old Montreal, which is so pretty and old and has tons of history and character, even if Springhill Suites itself is less interesting and than the Château Champlain; if you were from Europe and were used to old, however, I'd give the opposite opinion and say stay downtown for the high-rise-with-a-view experience.

Edited: 11 March 2011, 05:13
Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott Chateau Champlain or Marriott Springhill Suites

Are there enough things to walk to in Old Montreal? Can we walk to the metro stop, even though it wouldn't be as convenient?

Thank you!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott Chateau Champlain or Marriott Springhill Suites

Hi TravelingFromTX,

Welcome to the MONTREAL TRAVEL FORUM.

Again, GOOGLE MAPS would help you out with this… The Marriott Springhill Suites Old Montreal are located at 445 rue St-Jean-Baptiste, the closest Metro Station is Place d’Armes and aprox 6 Blocks (550 Metres) away (about a 7 minute walk) so easy enough to do on a Summer's day.

All of this is quite visible on GOOGLE MAPS… and infact you can get the “little yellow man to drive you thru it" if you`d like a close up personalize curb side perspective (LOVE GOOGLE MAPS features like Satellite and Street View when I am planning a vacation... the one way to actually "see@ things BEFORE you arrive).

Old Montreal is just part of the whole of the Downtown area… so lots to see both in Old Montreal and around it…

For more info on the layout of Old Montreal (and the whole Downtown Area)… I suggest that you take a look at this past topic entitled *June Montreal Trip – Need Help Picking Hotel* = tripadvisor.ca/…31493620 and specifically my Reply # 6 which discusses where things are… interestingly this Traveller was also debating between the two Marriott Hotel sites at the time.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 11 March 2011, 06:15