We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I find a decent hotel for under $100 a night?

Nj
Level Contributor
260 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Can I find a decent hotel for under $100 a night?

My family and I are planning a trip the end of June.. About 3 nights or so and just wondering if the hotels are very expensive or can we get clean hotel for a decent hotel?

Thanks!

Marie

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I find a decent hotel for under $100 a night?

Hello Marie

I like Anne ma soeur Anne, on St-Denis associationhotelsmontreal.com/en/hotels/anne… and Château de l'Argoat on Sherbrooke St, across the street from Sherbrooke metro station http://www.hotel-chateau-argoat.qc.ca/ . A tad more expensive: Hôtel de l'Institut (our school training hotel) right on top of the same metro station is very good too, and it has been recently renovated http://tinyurl.com/4vpurnx . You could alternatively rent a suite, a studio or a small flat at Solin Hall, the McGill Uni's student residence http://www.mcgill.ca/residences/summer/solin/

Hope it helps to get you started.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I find a decent hotel for under $100 a night?

Hi Sunflr,

Welcome to the MONTREAL TRAVEL FORUM.

Generally speaking, Hotel rooms cost more in Canada than the USA… blame it on the fact that we only have 10% of your population (34 Million vs 300+ Million) spread out over a much larger landmass…(based on area we are the second largest country in the world only behind Russia)… HUGE Landmass + SCANT Population = LOW Demand = HIGHER Prices.

Hotel Rooms here under $ 100 are really rare… with most starting in the $ 120 to $ 150 price range, and going up from there (so think American Large Cities…) Most of us will tell you that it is less than $ 100 then it isn`t the best !!

You can occasionally find places below $ 100 but they won`t be the same quality generally that you are used to.

Also remember that Canadian Taxes are much higher than in the USA… here in Montreal and you`ll be looking at Taxes just over 17% on accommodations… so an $ 85 room will just work out to aprox $ 100 in total.

Want something middle of the road and clean, then expect to pay closer to the $ 120 mark (just over $ 140 taxes in).

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 13 March 2011, 07:15
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I find a decent hotel for under $100 a night?

Short answer... NO! As I have explained elsewhere, it's just too expensive to run a decent hotel, pay all our taxes and salaries as well as upkeep with a low rate.

Long answer... Sure, with a lot of compromises. The end of June is prime time, especially considering that the last week of June is the Jazz Festival, add into this mix that July 1st is a Canadian national holiday and July 4th is an American national holiday. You can pretty much guarantee that almost every room in Montreal will be booked for the Jazz Festival and at a premium over the usual price. So you will just have to compromise on either your budget or where you are going to stay. I'm an innkeeper, myself, and I can tell you that I'm 50% booked for the end of June. (The people who want longer stays at the top rated reasonably priced establishments know to book well in advance).

My suggestions, if you really want to stick to your budget... book and stay further out, or change where you want to stay....

Further out: Sure, you will end up spending part of your time on the bus and metro instead of walking around and enjoying Montreal, but you should be able to make your budget. Like around the east end, from the Olympic stadium to Place Versailles.

Where to stay: Look at B&Bs, especially smaller establishments, in the village, further out in the plateau (like mile-end) and outside of the downtown core. Obviously those with good reputations, but much further down the list. There are plenty of fine establishments.

Note: As I said above, I am an innkeeper in Montreal. Please take my comments with the appropriate caution.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,047 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I find a decent hotel for under $100 a night?

Yes it will be a feat to find something for all the above mentioned seasons but mostly due to what TravelAdviceCA wrote about that time of the year in town.

I will suggest something that is not in town but on the South-Shore, but very easy to access as there is a métro (subway) station just a few steps away and it will zip you to the main transfer station in Mtl where you can reach everywhere easily.

The place is the Sandman Montreal/Longueuil www.sandmanhotels.com/hotel/quebec/montreal

I assume that you will be coming by car and hotel parkings in town are expensive as are hotel breakfasts, so that goes on top of your room budget but the Sandman offers both free so important savings there that can be reinvested in the room rental per se.

Seattle
Level Contributor
630 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I find a decent hotel for under $100 a night?

I just got the Marriott Chateau Champlain for $100/night 06/29-07/01 through bidding on Priceline. Look at www.betterbidding.com to learn how to do it. Send me a PM if you need more help. I've used bidding on Priceline for Hotels all over the world (mostly in the USA) more than 30 times & I've never been disappointed. The lowest rate I could find on the internet for those dates, for that Hotel was $239/night.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I find a decent hotel for under $100 a night?

Please remember to read EVERYTHING before bidding. You cannot cancel. You cannot choose your beds. You can request smoking/non-smoking but it is not guaranteed. And remember that it is a way for hotels to sell their unwanted inventory, so you can get the noisy room, the room with smells, the rooms that aren't yet renovated?

Nj
Level Contributor
260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I find a decent hotel for under $100 a night?

yes! I know! My husband did priceline for our trip to DIsney next month through priceline and I am not happy with the hotel we got at all!!!!!! We will only be going to MOntreal for about 2 nights and wont be in the hotel much just for sleeping, so I am not as concerned as I was with Disney for 5 nights.. I just want a clean hotel...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I find a decent hotel for under $100 a night?

Well make sure you look at the whole list. Remember, on their end, those who have the hardest time filling are the most likely to bid the least amount of money. And the 2.5* list... is scary to me.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I find a decent hotel for under $100 a night?

AnOther note on Priceline. You say the it is for you and your family. Priceline only guarantees a room for two people, they do not promise anything more than that, so you will be taking a chance that the hotel will not accommodate more people than two.

Hotwire allows you to search for rooms for more than two people, it will also gove you an actual price and show the hotel amenities. For a family it is a safer way to bid. Usually the three star hotels are the best deal in Montreal.

Seattle
Level Contributor
630 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I find a decent hotel for under $100 a night?

If you're more than 2 people it is a consideration for sure. If you decide to use hotwire instead, you can also have a pretty good idea which hotel you will get by looknig on www.betterbidding.com.

I never bid for less than 3.5* on Priceline. Like I said I've used it more than 30 times in cities all over the world & I've never gotten a "bad" room. I have gotten rooms with the view of a concrete wall or close to the elevator (a bit more noisy). But the rooms have always been clean & the beds very comfortable. Again I never bid for less than a 3.5* & never bid before consulting the above website.

When I travel I'm not much in my room & when I pay 50-70% of the rate I couldn't care less about the view from my room. To each his own preferences.

Edited: 15 March 2011, 16:59