We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Bus Questions

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Two Bus Questions

I need to purchase 4 Greyhound tkts to go from Montreal to Burlington, VT. On the greyhound.ca website, the tkts are significantly cheaper, but you can't use an American Billing Address. Is there a way around this. Would you advise I wait and purchase them in Canada, when I arrive, or is that too much of a risk. Would I get the cheaper price if I did this?

Any discounts on greyhound.com besides companion fare that I might be missing?

Also, can only go to Quebec City for one day, without sleeping over at all. For that short time, would you suggest a guided tour? It's over 100 dollars per person but thinking we would see more than just taking a round-trip bus ride and doing it all on our own?

Thank you!

Montreal Scooter Rentals and Tours
Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Private Tours
Spade & Palacio Non-Touristy Tours
Bike Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Local Montreal Food Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Bus Questions

Yup, you need a Canadian credit card to buy them from the Canadian site -- and they won't send them to you in the States anyway even if you could buy them. However, you can buy them at the Montréal bus station with your American credit card no problem. However, you will not get an advance purchase discount. This is a case where I would phone Greyhound directly and see what they can do -- perhaps a real person would be able to work some magic with uncooperative computers.

As for Québec in one day: well, it is do-able, although you will want to give it more time than that since it is so lovely. However, if you ARE going to do it in a day, I recommend the guided tour rather than doing it yourself. It's only a tiny bit more expensive, and you get the advantage of a little guided tour around the city and out to Montmorency falls, which makes it worth it.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Bus Questions

Thanks! It's about $115 per person for the guided tour, does that sound right to you?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Bus Questions

The guided tour prices seems to vary according to the seasons as, last fall, we saw it at $80+ which was almost the same price as the regular bus. May be $5 more. Yes the price of the bus is around $80 but with the cost of fuel it can climb up pretty soon or has already done so.

I will say that if you are more than one person a car rental could be the best and cheapest solution since you will be able to go as you whish. It also means that you could stay late enough at night to catch Image Mill if you are planning to be around from June 24 to Labor Day week-end. The regular bus has the last bus leaving Qc at 10h30 and this is too early to catch the show. The tour will be an even shorter affair so be prepared to see just a glimpse of Qc.

So taking the regular bus will mean that you can leave Mtl at whatever time you want and come back as late as 10h30 with departures both ways every hours and, let's be frank, the greatest charm in Qc is just to walk around and discover unheralded bits here and there.

On the other hand the tour is completely hassle free, takes 20 minutes less each way (that is unless they pick passengers from many locations in Mtl) and you get to see Montmorency Fall as a bonus.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Bus Questions

Thank you! I heard the falls are a nice perk and you can't do it on your own. What do you think about doing the 3-hr Greyline City Tour of Montreal just to get an overview to start?

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Bus Questions

I love doing the guided tours in cities to start -- they normally give a brief history and introduction to more local culture (here, for example, the division between French and English) plus you get to see, at least from the outside, the main tourist attractions. Plus going from one to the other you see bits of the city that otherwise you wouldn't. For me, it helps me get an idea of where I'd like to visit in more detail, and where I think I've seen enough to not return (such as Saint Joseph's Oratory or the Olympic Stadium).

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two Bus Questions

Thanks, that was just what I was thinking. Get a little taste of everything and go back to what we want more of :)

7. Re: Two Bus Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 06:16