We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help plan Wed nite

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Help plan Wed nite

Hi--continuing to plan our 4 nite stay in Montreal for the end of June.

Found out that the McCord museum (90 treasures exhibit) is free from 5-9 pm on Wed, and the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (terracotta warriors exhibit) is discounted from 5-9 pm on Wed nite.

Which of these do you think we should get to, or can we fit both in? Where would you suggest that we eat? Best way to travel between the two if both? The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts has a restaurant but supposedly it is expensive? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help plan Wed nite

Fine arts would be best. The old and modern wings are linked by underground tunnel. It sounds like your definition o expensive and mine are different. There are plenty of food options nearby. You could try il cortile nearby, a mid price restaurant on sherbrooke st. They have a small courtyard off Sherbrooke.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help plan Wed nite

I like Il Cortile too but is not so medium priced as Platipus would think. Mind you that the Museum of Fine Arts keeps only the temporary exhibitions open after 5 so you could come a bit earlier, have some quick dinner around and then come back for that special exhibit. Admission to the general collection is free with voluntary donation but if you buy your entrance in advance, they will let you go free for the general collection before 5. Also there is another special exhibit about French designer Jean-Paul Gaulthier so if they actually have a combo fee for both exhibits that would be great if yo like avant-garde haute couture too!.

If you want a quick dinner in between your visit to the permanent collection and the special exhibit you could go to nearby Premieres Moissons chain for some nice sandwiches and yummy desserts.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help plan Wed nite

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't find a menu or much information about the restaurant in the Museum of Fine Arts, other than one mention that is it expensive. Have you been? Is it a place that you would recommend? Do you have an idea of prices there? Thanks again.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help plan Wed nite

MMFA has a café and a restaurants. Both are under supervision of a very good chef but I have never been at the restaurnt while I find the café lackluster. As I wrote before you should come earlier to visit the rest of the museum and then have dinner before coming back for the special exhibits. If you are OK for a sanwich then you should go to Première Moisson but, while visiting, you could look at the restaurant and see their menu and decide if you want more.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help plan Wed nite

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately sandwiches are out because of the gluten. Do you think we could check out the menu at MMFA and if not appealing or too expensive, then go someplace nearby without reservations on a Wed nite? In other words, do we need reservations for MMFA or places nearby for a Wed nite?

I also received a suggestion of Kazu, and looking at the map, Boustan appears nearby. Not sure how they compare with your suggestions?

Montreal
Level Contributor
68 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help plan Wed nite

Hi

i tried the restaurant at the museum, i am not a big eater, but i left completely starved after a starter and a main meal. Honestly, you are at the corner of Crescent street, you can be in any place that strikes your fancy in less than 2 minutes walk. And maybe even sit outside. I recommend skip the museum restaurant.

7. Re: Help plan Wed nite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 05:17