We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to find the best Lobster Dinner in Montreal

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Where to find the best Lobster Dinner in Montreal

We are heading to Montreal in July and looking for the best place to get fresh large lobsters!!

Thank you

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to find the best Lobster Dinner in Montreal

Lobsters or Lobster dinner?

For lobsters, the best places to get seafood i'd say is the Atwater Market (right on the edge of downtown) or Jean Talon Market (around Little Italy). Amazing fresh produce, seafood, meat...you name it. Check them both out here:

http://www.marchespublics-mtl.com/

As for dinner, I'm sure you'll get more suggestions from people here, but try Garde Manger. It's owned by Chuck Hughes, who's a celebrity chef on the Food Network here. But make reservations soon (ie now)...he competed on Iron Chef America a few months ago (the secret ingredient was lobster, by the way) and won, and since then it's near impossible to get a reso so act fast.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to find the best Lobster Dinner in Montreal

The best selection is at poisonnerie la mer if u want to buy live lobster. I never have lobster in a restaurant. It is best to cook it with saltwater. Simple but the best. Lobster has a delicate taste and you spoile that ib a restaurant with garlic butter a la thermidor, etc. For seafood you can try maestro svp on st laurent st. Not sure they always have lobster. Homard fou is another place.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to find the best Lobster Dinner in Montreal

Never heard of Homard Fou but with a name like that it oculd be somethin! Thanks Platipus.

Live lobster is live lobster, they were even in special at IGA supermarket two weeks ago. $5 per pound, never heard of such low prices in years and years, and they had nice 1 1/2 pounders which are ideal. Lobster party at home and yes just plain melted butter is good, not garlicky etc. So I will say that any place with an aquarium with lively lobster inside will do the trick but yes La Mer is the largest/best place for all kind of products from the sea. Oh and they have a restaurant on premise so I am sure that at this time of the year they will be able to just steam them and go the plain way.

Another place for HUGE lobster is, surprisingly, a steakhouse: La Queue de Cheval, nothing less than two pounds and you will pay dearly for them.

4. Re: Where to find the best Lobster Dinner in Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 23:20