We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tolls in canada

Suffern, New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Topic
tolls in canada

Random question....Coming over the border to Montreal from New York and was wondering if there are any tolls I would need to go through? Just asking as I would need Canadian dollars for these....thanks.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tolls in canada

Hi Suffern!

There are currently no road tolls in Quebec.. (There is talk of tolls on new stretches of roads in future, but not right now.)

In Ontario, you'll face toll roads if you're headed toward Toronto, and there are tolls on three stretches in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, but none in Quebec.

Happy travels!

David

Edited: 12 July 2011, 14:55
Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tolls in canada

For the benefit of other readers, you may wish to know that there actually is one tollway in Quebec now, the Route 25 bridge over the Riviere des Prairies that separates eastern Montreal Island from Laval.

Opened in late May 2011, it connects the LaFontaine Tunnel and the Trans Canada Highway in east Montreal with Route 440, the east-west freeway across Laval. You can use Route 25 and 440, cutting across Laval, to avoid the congestion on Route 40 in northern Montreal, returning to the Trans Canada Highway by Route 13, which rejoins Route 40 near Trudeau Airport in Dorval.

(Note that this new bridge is not the old Pie IX Bridge, which Google Maps still shows as Route 25. The new bridge is northeast of Pie IX, which we expect to be renumbered as Route 125.)

These details should not affect a US traveler entering Montreal from the south. It may, however, be of considerable interest to Canadians traveling east-west and seeking to avoid Montreal congestion.

Tolls on the new bridge are steep, about $2.40 per trip, and that's if you're equipped with a special transponder. Add another $3 to $5 "administration charge" if you're not so equipped (virtually all visitors are likely not to be so equipped). According to the toll-collecting authority, Route 25 equipment is not compatible with E-Z Pass or with transponders used in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

Happy travels,

David

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tolls in canada

Quick correction, perhaps a little off-topic:

"In Ontario, you'll face toll roads if you're headed toward Toronto"

No you won't. The only toll road in Ontario is Highway 407, which bypasses Toronto to the north, and there is no reason to use it if you're going to Toronto (one would take the 401). The 407 is basically for suburban commuters, who rent a transponder to get a cheaper rate on daily travel.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tolls in canada

Not meaning to nit-pick, Toronto, but I was thinking of the Detroit River and Niagara River tolls, as well as Route 407 tolls for those seeking to avoid Route 401 congestion.

David

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tolls in canada

OK - Those I believe are on the American side. And I guess I was thinking in terms of approaching Toronto from Montreal.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tolls in canada

What they said..........

7. Re: tolls in canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 05:18