We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local wineries?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
local wineries?

One of our favorite things to do is to check out the local wineries. We'll be staying an hour or so south of the city....Any suggestions?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local wineries?

I'm not sure where you are staying but to the west, an area you might drive into if you are driving up, is the Eastern Townships. The Eastern Townships has 17 wineries along a Route du Vin, Go to easterntownships.org for the route and more about the wineries. This area is about 3 hours away from downtown Quebec City.

Just to the northeast of the city is Ile d'Orleans. This beautiful island has 3 wineries on it, all accessible from the main road which circles the island. Stop at the visitors center just after you drive over and pick up an island map and the wineries will be listed.

Enjoy!!

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local wineries?

The Wine Route is what you want:

http://www.laroutedesvins.ca/en/

I suggest you start in Dunham, where there are the most wineries. While you're there, if you like beer, stop by Brasseurserie Dunham (previously called Brasseurs et Freres). They serve fantastic ribs and bavette.

Fun fact:

Winery in french is written "Vignoble". Keep that in mind when looking for signs (although the grape icon is kind of obvious)

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local wineries?

Sylve is right, the wineries will be very easy to spot and the whole area is very well marked.

Also, thanks for the tip regarding Brasseurserie Dunham. We're bringing family members for a tour in early September on the way to Quebec City and we might give it a try!.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local wineries?

Brasseurs et Freres have a beautiful terrace that they share with the next door bistro. Look for a big brick arch with some clever little name like "PUBlic House".

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: local wineries?

...we went on a tour of the www.domainedelileronde.com just north of Montréal in the middle of the Saint-Lawrence and it was rather wonderful as an outing, since you take the boat over so it's a day on the river as well (albeit just a short hop, but still nice).

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: local wineries?

Wow! Ask a question and you get some WONDERFUL answers on this board. I'll be printing out maps and links for our trip. ....And I promise to post a trip report...and a wine rating ;-)

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: local wineries?

Good. I don't know what kind of wine connisseur you are, I just like a good pour myself, but I'd be interested in your thoughts. British Columbia and Ontario are the big Canadian wine producing areas, with Nova Scotia making a few inroads but you never ever hear of this area, any wine growing area in Quebec that is but especially the Eastern Townships, even in some of the wine periodicals, except maybe for ice wine, and that is more of an Ontario thing. I think it is an undiscovered area and I hope more people find it. These aren't grapes you hear of everyday but I think they are pretty good and the area is beautiful.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: local wineries?

L'Orpailleur make some very good wine. They don't make many reds though.

Edited: 20 July 2011, 14:06
Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: local wineries?

JDP: Quebec City and Ile d'Orleans will be a bit too far for us... but it looks like we will be very near the Eastern Township area. I've checked out the Wine route in and around the Dunham area and it looks like we'll be able to visit a few (though I really, really am gonna miss using my smart phone for directions and calls (my verizon plan will make data & phone use very costly).

Tristou: I am VERY interested in the domaine de lileronde...but the website is primarily in French and I am unable to figure out directions (and even find it on my Canadian map). It sounds like a wonderrful full day trip with boat ride and wine tasting! Do you have any more info on this place?

10. Re: local wineries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 08:15