We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does this one day itinerary for Montreal sound? Advice?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristow, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How does this one day itinerary for Montreal sound? Advice?

Hello! We are a family of 2 adults and 4 kids (ages 11, 9, 7, and 5) visiting Montreal in a few weeks.

We will be arriving in Montreal late on a Sunday night and will stay at the Embassy Suites.

Our plan for Monday

-8:00 am Visit Notre-Dame Basillica (looks like it should be walking distance from our hotel)

-take Metro to Biodome/Botanical Gardens

-Evening return to hotel

-Sometime that evening view the "show" at "La Joute" Fountain by Riopelle (also appears it should be walking distance to our hotel)

Some questions:

1. Since we plan to take Metro from Notre Dame to Biodome, and it will be a Monday morning, how bad of a "rush hour" does Montreal get, and would that line/area be a part of it? I assume it would be around 9:00 am.

2. I know there are food options at the Biodome, but is there anything else close by that we should seek out instead?

3. Dinner, I assume we will get after visiting Biodome/Botanical Gardens. Any recommendations? Please keep in mind that we will have 4 children with us, so something casual would be best. Even fast food, if it was a Montreal-specific or Canadian specific chain, could be ok. Our main interest would be trying something we do not have where we live (Washignton DC area).

Is there anything else I should take into consideration? Thank you very much!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does this one day itinerary for Montreal sound? Advice?

With children, near the Biodome, I would suggest heading over to Scores. It's a chain, but they do have a kids menu and good BBQ chicken that pretty much should give everyone something to eat. There are also some places on Hochelaga, but nothing spectacular, really. Moe's on Sherbrooke has smoked meat and other things.

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does this one day itinerary for Montreal sound? Advice?

The metro is never all that bad (ie not like New York) even at rush hour...the metros usually run smoothly and on the 2 lines you'll take (Orange and Green, assuming you're getting on at Place D'Armes and getting off at Pie-IX), there should be a train every 3 minutes or so.

Make sure you spend some time in Old Montreal and the Old Port, there's always things to do and it's very nice in the summer. The Science Centre is also there and kids will have fun I'm sure, so don't just see Notre Dame and then leave!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,956 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does this one day itinerary for Montreal sound? Advice?

There are many family restaurants in the east end of Sherbrooke street but are farther away than the Biodome/Botanical Garden Complex and if you travel by car you willl have to take a bus.

The best solution for lunch would to bring some picnic with you, you are not supposed to eat picnic in the Garden except in the designed area near the cafeteria but this seems a bit lax nowadays if you don't try to eat in the big showpieces. But anyways you could head to the cafeteria and buy soft drinks and other complements to your picnick.

Then you will probably want an early dinner so then you could head back downtown and stop at a Saint-Hubert (basically the same as Scores but without the salad bar), on the green métro line you could get off at Beaudry and walk to the nearby one on Sainte-Catherine, warning this is the Gay village area and the street is closed to traffic so a lot of people watching. You could get off at Place Des Arts and get to another Saint-Hubert in Complexe Desjardins or, finally get off at Guy / Concordia where there is a Scores nearby on Sainte-Catherine st. All 3 are stations on the green line so direct from either Pie IX or Viau for Biodome. and, by the wa,y you will be running reverse to most traffic so once you go north or east of the main Berri/Uquam hub in the morning or reverse in the p.m. you will not get so much traffic.

Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does this one day itinerary for Montreal sound? Advice?

Going to Biodome, you will be going against traffic, ( so to speak) so when you get in the train you should be sitting down and with few people. Most are going toward downtown.

To eat, you can walk to Sherbrooke street, and East of Viau blvd you will find many reataurants Google it. you will be in front of the Olympic village pyramid residences ( 1976 Olympics- now appartements). But if the weather is nice the recommandation of a picnic in the Maisonneuve park, next to Biodome or enen better, in the Botanical Garden ( 2nd best in the world I believe after Qew) would be wonderful. All walkable from Biodome, and I believe you can get a pass for Biodome and Botanical ( and insectarium...)

5. Re: How does this one day itinerary for Montreal sound? Advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 20:15