We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Providence
2 posts
Save Topic
Passport to go to Montreal?

Does anyone know the official rule on passports for people entering Canada from the US and then returning?

I have heard that there is a new rule that states you must have a valid passport to go. But I have also heard that you can just have a proof of citizenship (such as birth certificate) as long as you have a picture ID with it.

Also, if we take a bus into canada from Boston, will we still need passports?

If anyone has any information, let me know because our vacation depends on it.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport to go to Montreal?

That question has come up on some other boards. Lizard1978 gave this answer on the Niagara Falls ON forum:

The following is from the US State Department website:

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: All persons entering Canada may be required to present proof of citizenship and identity. U.S. citizens are encouraged to show a U.S. passport. If they do not have a passport, they should be prepared to provide a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport

Here's the link as well. …state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport to go to Montreal?

Just to add that the rules for admission to the U.S, even for U.S. citizens have been changed. Theorically by the end of 2006 you might not need a passport to get in Canada but would need one to get back to the States!

But this is not due until the end of 2006 and there is talks of postponing it since there is so much commercial and touristic traffic between the two countries. Just ask Donald Rumsfeld what he intends to do!

Anyway you are probably planning to come to Montreal within the next few months so ... No problems! But if coming by bus have i.d. and everything else on hand with your bust ticket, the bus driver will have to check them before admitting you to the bus (but this might happen only in Burlington depending on the bus).

But on the other end, with increased security measures everywhere, I really suggest that you do try to get passports in the near future. Even in your own country it is the best piece of I.D. that you can get.

Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport to go to Montreal?

Just a small note regarding the increased security - Passport or other new issue that is coming into effect:

When traveling by air (planes) the "in effect" date is January 1st, 2007

When traveling by land (train, car, bus, etc) the 'in effect' date is January 1st, 2008.

And yeah, the powers that be are still working on the details so that this security measure doesn't negatively impact Canada-U.S. trade and tourism.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport to go to Montreal?

Pssports aren't needed, but they make your life easier. If you're near a major city, you used to be able to get passports w/i a couple of weeks. If you plant to travel much, you might as well. See the following link:

…state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html

Going in, the Canadians might ask for ID, or maybe they won't. If anything, they ask where you're heading, why, when are you returning, how much cash you have, and if you're a criminal.

Coming back, the US Customs folks will want ID, and a driver's license generally is OK unless you're a smart-aleck. Birth-certificate is a good idea, and technically required. All the DL shows is that you can drive in your home state. The questions will generally be the same.

One tip: your life will be much easier if you hit the ports early (before (9AM). The traffic tends to stack up, especially at the major crossings. If you're taking a bus, it'll stop and all will have to do this.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport to go to Montreal?

Off-topic a little, but interesting in view of the new security measures: I met a guy who had been living in the U.S. for 15 years (originally from central america), came here to Canada on vacation, and when he went to go back, they said, "Nope, sorry -- you're HIV positive. Go away." So he had to stay here for 4 months as his lawyers tried tried to get him back into the U.S. (eventually, they did.)

The scary thought, aside from the ridiculous law of preventing HIV+ people from travelling to your country, is how did the border guard know he had become HIV+? Patiot Act, one assumes, but what is that type of information doing in your file?!

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport to go to Montreal?

The prohibition against HIV non-citizens has nothing to do with the Patriot Act. It was passed in 1952, and prohibits folks with a variety of diseases (TB, leprosy, HIV, etc...) from entering the country. The fact that other countries allow carriers of these diseases into their countries hardly means the US is wrong.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport to go to Montreal?

Wrong? No, it's your country, you can keep whomever you don't want out. HIV didn't exist in 1952; it was added in 1993, making the U.S. one of a handful of countries in the world that restricts HIV+ visitors (immigration is different of course).

Almost all countries restrict people with communicable diseases like SARS or TB, but I guess most have figured out that letting a HIV+ tourist in, even if he's going to use the drinking fountains, doesn't pose much of a public health risk.

My point was that the border guard had what I would expect to be confidential information at his finger tips, thanks to the Patriot Act. In my country, medical ethics keep my medical history between my doctor and me.

The Patriot Act has raised a few other eyebrows up here -- for example, the company I work for is moving data stored with U.S.-based firms back into Canada, since our Privacy Act makes it illegal to allow most employee information to be shared or used for anything but its intended purpose.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport to go to Montreal?

"Almost all countries restrict people with communicable diseases like SARS or TB, but I guess most have figured out that letting a HIV+ tourist in, even if he's going to use the drinking fountains, doesn't pose much of a public health risk."

The discovery of HIV led to its inclusion to the 1952 act, just like gonorhhea. You'll notice with a bit of research that syphillis and other venereal diseases are on the list. It would be silly to exclude a disease just because it didn't exist at the time. It isn't as if Rumsfeld, Ashcroft,and all the other 'evil' neocons believe that HIV is spread by coughing. Instead, we have to be concerned with all the ways a disease might be spread, regardless of how certain groups want to make this a discriminatory issue.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport to go to Montreal?

Oh, we'll never agree. I'm not claiming discrimination -- it's your country, do what you want. I think your laws are based on morals, not common sense or public safety issues, that's all. At 0.6% (according to the CIA), your HIV+ rate is double ours anyway, so I guess our approach to preventing this horrible disease, even with letting HIV+ people in, is working better than yours.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport to go to Montreal?

Tonyri23 --

Re passports: Immigration regulations are always quid pro quo - if you require passports of my citizens then I will require them of yours. So keep an eye on what the US requires of Canadians and you'll know what you'll need for Canada --

At the moment, going back into the US can be much slower and more difficult than coming the other way. So -- I would say get your passport and use it even though it's not strictly required - it will save you time and trouble.