We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheeses

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Topic
Cheeses

Looking for the best cheese shop in montreal .

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheeses

What is the magic word?

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,044 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheeses

All the public markets have very good cheese shops -- there are 2 at Atwater market and one in Jean Talon (although other places in the market also sell cheeses). As well, La Veille Europe has a great selection and tons of other yumminess and is well worth a stop especially if you're already going to Schwartz for smoked meat, for example.

These cheese shops are the biggest, but in fact, sometimes it can be overwhelming -- I actually prefer smaller places like La Fromagerie Beaubien (close to my place) or Yannick on Bernard, for example, where they've already done the selection for you.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,077 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheeses

My vote would go to Fromagerie Hamel at the Marché Jean-Talon.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheeses

Thanks

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheeses

I second Fromagerie Hamel, closely followed by La Vieille Europe on St-Laurent.

…google.com/site/…plan-du-marche-jean-talon (top of the map, "D" in the brown square)

http://tinyurl.com/7vbewzf

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheeses

Let<s put it this way.

Le Petite Europe has a huge amount of different European cheeses and a small selection of Qu/bec ones.

Fromagerie Hamel is split like 1/3 local 2/3 import

March/ des Saveurs feature only Quebec made products in all of it"s departments and there is a mind boggling selection of Quebec cheeses (probably close to 100) many made with raw milk that is not allowed in the US. If you were planning on bringing back some cheeses in your luggages you should really check the rules about importing cheeses privately in the US but also not declare the raw cheeses per se, just say Cheese! With a smile to the the custom officer!

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheeses

I will being cheese with me i will be taking the train back to ny so i don't think it going to a problem taking back. i do sell cheese back home. I can't It will my frish time in montreal.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheeses

Hi Larr2155,

Welcome to the MONTREAL TRAVEL FORUM

My esteemed colleague RICKB makes a good point... when it comes to Importation back to the USA... and infact the situation is WORSE than he points out...

US Customs & Border Protection (CBP) has recently changed the Rules on Food Importation (July 2011) it is now ILLEGAL to bring ANY FOOD PRODUCTS into the USA that is included in the following groups... and it is my understanding that Dairy / Cheeses are now part of that grouping...

<< Restricted items include meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, soil, and products made from animal or plant materials. >>

cbp.gov/xp/…arriving_travelers.xml

Offending products will be confiscated, and destroyed.

Would hate to see you see your hard-earned purchases end up in that situation...

If you need more info... suggest that you contact CBP directly

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

9. Re: Cheeses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2012, 10:21