We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown hotel for single female - April 5-8

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown hotel for single female - April 5-8

I will be travelling to Montreal Apr 5-8, 2012 which is the Good Friday/Easter long weekend. I am looking for a hotel that is downtown, good value and safe as I am a single female traveling alone.

Are there any options that are bet. $100-125 per day?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,237 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown hotel for single female - April 5-8

Almost impossible to find downtown at this price and this time of the year.

I just clicked on Expedia and found some deals but most are not all in the downtown core but nearby and you might not particularly like the neighbourhood of some. Mind you these areas are safe but might attract more "unsavory" character and are in areas that are either a bit run down or just being in the process of being renovated. This will be the case of Zero !, Days Inn Downtown Mtl, Hotel du Fort. Chateau Versailles (small older European style), Europea, Espresso and Nouvel Hotel will be more central as will the Maritime Plaza but there might be groups of rowdy students at the latter considering your dates. Notes that being a local I haven't stayed at those hotels so my informations are more on the general side. Also all those are on specials at Expedia right now but I don't know how long it will last and prices are quoted before taxes, which should add a good 17% to your bill.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown hotel for single female - April 5-8

Thank you! Which hotels would you recommend then if my budget is between $150 - $200 per night?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown hotel for single female - April 5-8

Hotwire has a downtown Montreal 4* hotel for $106/night ($131 incl. all taxes and fees) on the dates you've given.

You just need to be aware of the terms and conditions, notably: pay when you book, no refunds, no changes, no upgrades, and no guarantee on room type. You also won't know the specific hotel until you've paid, but you may be able to narrow it down using this list: www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=92 .

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,104 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown hotel for single female - April 5-8

I have stayed at the Chateau Versailles, which Rickb mentions above. It is a lovely little hotel, close to a Metro station and bus routes. Right on Sherbrooke, a few blocks west of the Musee Beaux Arts. Perfectly safe for someone on their own. It is not a modern hotel, as Rick notes, it's an older, European style. But very nice in its own way.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown hotel for single female - April 5-8

I always use Priceline when I visit Montreal. Never had any problems with any of the hotels I ended up with.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,872 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown hotel for single female - April 5-8

For a single person Pricleine is a great choice and what I always use when I go alone. Choose downtown and four star and you cannot go wrong. Remember when placing your bid to account for taxes and fees.

Milton, Vermont
Level Contributor
214 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown hotel for single female - April 5-8

I always use Hotels.com and I checked for your dates and up to $150 price range and there are several options. We normally stay at the Delta or the Holiday Inn (Midtown, Centre-Ville), or the Hilton Garden or the Hilton Bonaventure. They are all nice, comfortable, safe, and walking distance to downtown, restaurants, subway, etc.

The Fairmont Queen Elizabeth is also a great hotel and it's coming up at $128. Delta Montreal at $133, Hilton Bonaventure at $126, Hilton Garden at $141, and the Holiday Inns at $126. The Hilton Bonaventure is interesting as technically one doesn't need to go outside to get to the major downtown locations. You access the underground city from the hotel, through the train station which has a lot of food outlets, and then you're on St. Catherine St.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown hotel for single female - April 5-8

Actually, the Queen E and the Delta Centre-Ville (the one on University) are also connected to the underground passageways, although the Delta is not in the heart of it all. There are others, too -- the top question on where to stay in Montréal at tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g155032-c170735/Montre… lists them all.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown hotel for single female - April 5-8

Hotel tax is....

3.5% room tax

5.0% GST (5.175% on the room price)

9.5% QST (10.324125% on the room price)

The room tax is not collected on parking, room service, etc. So the total tax on a hotel room is 18.999125% (or 19% if you round it up).

As usual there are always the fans of opaque buying of rooms. That's fine as long as you read carefully, are willing to accept any hotel in that zone and understand that you won't usually be given choice of room, bed, floor, etc. There is a reason why thy sell their rooms opaquely. Every hotel has it's least desirable rooms and they still have to sell them. If you need a non-smoking room on the second floor that faces the back with a queen bed... this isn't the right choice for you, because you don't get to make those choices, the hotel does.

10. Re: Downtown hotel for single female - April 5-8

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2013, 10:19