We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from montreal to Boston

harrow
Level Contributor
212 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from montreal to Boston

How long should it take by car? We would like to get from Montreal in one day. The air fares look very expensive and it doesn't look as if you can do it by train.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from montreal to Boston

About 5 to 6 hours. There are several ways to go, but if you are going straight through that is about the time, even with a short stop or 2 for gas and food. That doesn't include the border which can depend more on the amount of traffiic going over than anything else.

JDP

harrow
Level Contributor
212 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from montreal to Boston

Thank you.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from montreal to Boston

Take Autoroute 10 East into 35, then Quebec Highway 133 to the border, then Interstate 89, through Maine and NH to Manchester, then get I-93 into Boston. According to Google maps, it takes 5h, 20 min., which means, to me 5 hours + border crossing. Be sure you have your passport ready to show.

Go to maps.google.com and type Montreal and Boston and see what comes up.

Edited: 14 February 2012, 21:08
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from montreal to Boston

I think NorthofDC wanted to say Vermont instead of Maine, otherwise that is probably the most direct route to go. We also go 10 east to Route 55 south, which turns into US 91 into Vermont. From there we take it to 93 south, which goes through New Hampshire and some of the pretty mountain scenery before flatting out, all the way to Boston. Maybe a few miles longer but about the same amount of time.

JDP

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from montreal to Boston

One of your other posts suggests you are taking a cruise from New York to Montreal. If your plan is to rent a car in Montreal and turn it in when you get to Boston, you may find that the air fare is cheap compared to the rental cost plus the cost of paying to have the Canadian rental car returned to Canada.

If that is not your plan, please ignore my intervention.

harrow
Level Contributor
212 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from montreal to Boston

thank you. Most helpful

harrow
Level Contributor
212 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from montreal to Boston

Thank you. Very helpful.

harrow
Level Contributor
212 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from montreal to Boston

You are right we are taking a cruise from New York to Montreal and would like to see more of Boston and then take a train from Boston to New York to fly back to England. The airfares look very high from Montreal to Boston. We had not thought of paying for the car to be returned to Canada. Thank you for that advice

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from montreal to Boston

Look into rental services as not all will allow a drop off from one country to another. Try one of the big brands like Hertz.

Another idea, I haven't done it, but many do, is to take the bus from Montreal to Boston. It would certainly be cheaper. I would look at Greyhound or Peter Pan.

JDP

harrow
Level Contributor
212 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from montreal to Boston

Thanks.