We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caban au sucre near Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Caban au sucre near Montreal

Wondering if anyone has been to a caban au sucre/sugar shack near Montreal that is kid friendly and where they have a traditional menu with entertainment? Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,893 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caban au sucre near Montreal

There are many around but I susually recommend Sucrerie de la Montagne in Rigaud. It is ultra commercial but has a good mix of old fashioned "savoir faire" thrown in.

Also I have seen that you have posted on the Gatineau forum so I suppose that you will be traveling between Montreal and Ottawa/Gatineau, so Sucrerie de la Montagne is about one third of the way from Mtl to Otta by the highway.

Near Gatineau you should post on the Ottawa, forums as you will certainly get more replies that way.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caban au sucre near Montreal

Thanks rickb for your reply.

We are traveling between Gatineau and Montreal and are looking for a true "caban a sucre" experience (food, entertainment, etc.). Will look up your suggestions and will post on the Ottawa page too.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caban au sucre near Montreal

I enjoy this one :

Érablière au Sous-Bois

164 chemin du Sous-Bois, Mont-St-Grégoire, Québec, J0J 1K0

Please not all GOOD cabane a sucre will be about 40-60 minutes away from montreal..

Also here's a list of mostly ALL cabane a sucre :

cabaneasucre.org/region/monteregie%20p7.html

most have entertainment and all have traditional food.

You also have this one : http://www.lacabane.ca/contactez-nous.html in vieux port but I never been .. it's a bit more inventive but I heard it was great. I don't think you'd get the true cabane a sucre feel there but I still thought i'd but it out there

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caban au sucre near Montreal

I would NOT recommend Érablière au Sous-Bois. They are in a new location (150 chemin du Sous-Bois) and although their website looks great, you have to wait a long long time in line before getting to sit down and eat.

Although we had reservations, we had to wait over 2 hours to get into the dining area. The seating staff were not very helpful - they just told us to wait in line and that it would take about 45 minutes to be seated. When I asked why we had to have reservations, they said it was just so the servers would know how many people to expect on a given day.

A lot of people in the line were hungry and frustrated, and like us they had small children with them. The food is okay but I don't think it is worth $19 per person, especially when the syrup on the table looks and tastes more like corn syrup than pure maple.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caban au sucre near Montreal

Hi CupcakeBaker,

Welcome to the MONTREAL TRAVEL FORUM

Not sure if you are in the area now... or still to visit.

BUT you should be aware, that the 2012 Maple Syrup Season has pretty much been a "write-off" due to our unseasonably "summer-like" weather that we saw earlier in March (10 Days where the weather was in the teens & 20s C)...

This means, that the sap in the trees was pushed up to the branches quite quickly, and many many trees came into bud (something that normally doesn't happen until April)

Consequently, Maple Syrup season literally never happened...

In a normal year, the sap rises gradually... with warm-ish days and cool below freezing evenings...

For more info, see these articles from the *Ottawa Citizen* and the *USA Today* newspapers...

*Ottawa Citizen* (March 19, 2012) “Heat Brings Abrupt End to Maple Syrup Season” =

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technology/Heat+brings+abrupt+maple+syrup+season/6326633/story.html

(NOTE - if the Citizen Link above isn't highlighted... you might have to paste the URL into your Web Browser)

*USA Today* (March 23, 2012) “Warm Weather Cuts Short US Maple Sugaring Season” = usatoday.com/weather/…1

Consequently, with the season over, and production down, you won't find many spots that are actually "boiling"... and if you wish to buy syrup you will no doubtedly find that the prices for 2012 products will be more expensive than in past year's norms (products that are labour intensive, and therefore relatively expensive to begin with ($ 40 to $ 50 per gallon... smaller amounts will be divisible at best... or HIGHER priced)

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 27 March 2012, 03:01
6. Re: Caban au sucre near Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:43