We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston to Montreal vs. Cleveland to Montreal

SF Bay Area
13 posts
Save Topic
Houston to Montreal vs. Cleveland to Montreal

I'm a US citizen who will be arriving in Montreal from the US by plane. Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should enter Montreal via Houston, TX or Cleveland, OH? The flights I'm looking at will stop in one of these two cities before I transfer to an Air Canada, which will then fly to Dorval.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,091 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houston to Montreal vs. Cleveland to Montreal

Welcome to the forum kdaca ~

Montréal-Trudeau airport (YUL) formerly known as Dorval will be your point of arrival. I would think that your choice would center around the most convenient connections and flight times you can find and perhaps the lesser complicated American airport to connect through. There well may be some Canadians who know those two airports, but I would suggest you also post a question about how friendly those airports are to connect through, on either the Houston Forum or the Cleveland Forum, or both. Weighing those three factors may cinch your decision.

Edited: 14 March 2012, 07:41
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Houston to Montreal vs. Cleveland to Montreal

For me I would choose the flight that was most agreeable time wise. Airports are airports and it really doesn't matter which is best. For me it is the flight that leaves and arrives at the best tiem (whatever that is for you) and with the shortest useful layover time.

SF Bay Area
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Houston to Montreal vs. Cleveland to Montreal

Thanks to the both of your for replying!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Houston to Montreal vs. Cleveland to Montreal

First, if you're coming from San Francisco, your best option is "neither". Air Canada flies direct from SFO to YUL.

Otherwise, a few factors to consider:

- You probably want the trip with the shortest total time, as long as you don't cut the connection too close.

- The Houston airport handles 4x as many passengers as Cleveland; many people prefer to connect through smaller airports.

- The flight from Houston to Montreal is likely to be on a larger jet than the Cleveland-Montreal flight, if that's important to you.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Houston to Montreal vs. Cleveland to Montreal

Yes, get a direct Air Canada flight.

I got a really good fare on AC direct LAX to YUL. However, something strange happened. The flight disappeared off the United Airlines web site for code shares. One day it was there and the next it was gone. So I went back onto AC's site and it was still there so I booked it. I suspect the OP may have checked Continental's site and not picked it up. Book directly through Air Canada.

I also found that the short hop flights like Cleveland or Chicago to Montreal are outrageously expensive. YUL to ORD is about $550. But it only took 12,500 United frequent flyer miles to book that flight. So for once, using miles was worth it.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Houston to Montreal vs. Cleveland to Montreal

Something doesn't compute here. A quick look at the Air Canada site tells me that Air Canada Jazz has one direct flight a day from George Bush to Pierre Trudeau, using a Canadair regional jet. All other flights connect through Mike Pearson.

The site doesn't show any direct flights from Cleveland (who is this Hopkins guy its airport is named after?) to Montreal; all are connections through Toronto. The Cleveland - Toronto segment is on the 35 seat Dash-8 turboprop.

SF Bay Area
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Houston to Montreal vs. Cleveland to Montreal

@ronw

Within a day and a half, the flight connections changed. Shortly after midnight on 3/14, Cleveland and Houston were the transfer points with the best prices. 12 hours later, I couldn't even find a flight to Montreal with a Cleveland or Houston connection. I ended up booking a flight with a completely different connection.

I was looking at flights today, and the prices have doubled (not to mention the connection points). Go figure!

Edited: 15 March 2012, 22:46
8. Re: Houston to Montreal vs. Cleveland to Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 09:15