We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All you can eat & BYOB sushi Montreal/Laval area

Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
All you can eat & BYOB sushi Montreal/Laval area

Anyone have any suggestions for AYCE & BYOB sushi place?

Thanks!

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: All you can eat & BYOB sushi Montreal/Laval area

Sorry. Even the mere thought of such an establishment never crossed my mind before.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All you can eat & BYOB sushi Montreal/Laval area

I just cannot imagine all you can eat sushi being a good thing. Surely the point of sushi is quality, not quantity.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All you can eat & BYOB sushi Montreal/Laval area

I know AYCE sushi places have a bad reputation, and they can't compare to some of few gems we have around the city. However, i have had some good and fun meals with friends at many of them... so bottom line isn't that what it's all about?

Go at Sushi-Mushi on Decarie. It's sushi is very good even though it's a all-you-can-eat place. It's a BYOW. I have been a lot of times. Free parking in the little residential streets behind it. Make reservations if you are a group.

Sushi Palace in VSL is ok as well and it's main positive point is that it offers a AYCE chinese menu as well. Service is consistently horrible though and last time i had a soft-shell crab sushi that i found inedible...

One word of advice about these places: don't be in a hurry!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All you can eat & BYOB sushi Montreal/Laval area

THanks for that. I will get son to check Sushi mushi out. He loves Sushi, but it is pricey.

Mentioned in this post
Sushi
Sushi
Montreal, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All you can eat & BYOB sushi Montreal/Laval area

I was very surprised to see that some ACYA & BYOB sushis places existed at all. Sushis are usually expensive due to the quality of the fish and seafood offered so they need the maging of profit that booze provides. That being said I found the Sushi Train at Odaki Downtown on Sainte-Catherine west to be fun. The sushis are just average althought not bad as there are real Japanese chefs that they have on hand while many other places don't so some freshness is insured. But what really surprised me there is that the fried items on the Japanese menu are absolutely perfect. Better in fact than at many more upscale Japanese places around. So I usually order my share of sushis but then also double portions of tempuras. It is an AYCA but not BYOB but I also found the price of sake very affordable.

My other suggestion will not please my colleague Platipus at all: Cités d'Asie. It is also downtown and offers mix of AYCA Oriental food , preped to order that go from passable to just good. But on week ends there are some sushis thrown in the mix and those are surprisingly good even if the service is horrendeously slow. It seems that the management think that if they make you wait for the sushis you will eat some of the other Oriental preparations and, thus, order less sushis. Not BYOB neither and drinks prices can be expensive. Note that I haven't been there in a few years so Platipus dismissal on other threads might reflect a more up to date judgment.

Mentioned in this post
Sainte-Catherine
Sainte-Catherine
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: All you can eat & BYOB sushi Montreal/Laval area

For a sushi all you can eat try Kanda www.kanda-sushi.com. They have different locations. It is not a BYOB I believe.

Mentioned in this post
Kanda
Kanda
40 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: All you can eat & BYOB sushi Montreal/Laval area

I can confirm that Kenda sushi is actually quite palatable for an all-you-can-eat sushi place. I've been to the one on Ste-Catherine street several times :-)

Be warned that you pay for any leftover pieces. So it's all-you-can-eat and eat-all-of-it!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All you can eat & BYOB sushi Montreal/Laval area

Understand that kanda is what gives these all-you-can-eat sushi a bad name. It is the largest chain of that type. That being said, many still enjoy it. Sushis are pre-prepared so that service is usually very fast.

Just don't expect greatness.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,455 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All you can eat & BYOB sushi Montreal/Laval area

>> I was very surprised to see that some ACYA & BYOB sushis places existed at all

Even though most of these places are losing money everyday, they exist for 2 main reasons

1. lots of cash going through

2. entrepreneur immigration

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All you can eat & BYOB sushi Montreal/Laval area

I am a long time customer of Kanda and have tried them all. There is a new one that just opened up at 7373 Decarie in Montreal (the old location of Gourmet Hot and Spicy). This is the only Kanda that I have noticed that is BYOB. It is 1$ more for the Friday, Saturday menu but if you are saving 30$ at restaurant wine prices then I guess it is a trade off. There is one also on the south shore that charges the SAQ prices for wine plus 8%, which is another good alternative. I tried the Decarie one last night and we had a great time, great sushi as usual, comparable to the Pointe Claire location, which had been my favorite, great decor but do not hand in all your order papers at once because the chefs just make and make, the waitor does not suggest to hold back your sheets, so instead of bringing us the soup salad and let us say tempura shrimp first, he brought everything at once. so much so that our table of 6 was overflowing. They lacked a bit of common sense in that regard.

As far a the other BYOB sushi moushi, I tried that one also, very good and interesting variety. Lacks a bit in decor.

Mentioned in this post
Kanda
Kanda
40 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Pointe Claire
Pointe Claire
Quebec, Canada