We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been

New York
1 post
Save Topic
Never been

My wife and I are going to Montreal in mid April, but have no idea what to do. We enjoy museums, nice dinners some sight seeing and an overall cultural experience. We're both in our mid 20's but would rather stay away from trendy places where young, single people hang out. Any suggestions?

P.S. 30 isn't old.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
508 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been

Hi there,

First of all, an advanced welcome to the beautiful city of Montreal. You're going to have a great time and I'm sure that you'll thoroughly enjoyable stay in the city.

If you are into cultural experiences, may I suggest some of the following:

1. Musee de Beaux-Arts (Fine Arts Museum). Located on Sherbrooke street, this is definitely a good place to start. Until May 7, the treasures of Catherine the Great of Russia will also be on exhibit here, courtesy of the Hertimage Musuem in St. Petersburg, Russia.

2. Point-a-Calliere (Archealogy Museum). Located in Old Montreal, this is a must-see if you're into history. The museum is built on the original site of Montreal and you can actually go down underground to see some of the excavation finds that have been uncovered in recent years.

3. Basilique Notre-Dame. Montreal's most famous cathedral and it is certainly beautiful. Located in Old Montreal, it is within walking distance of Point-a-Calliere and also a good stop on your tour of the Old Montreal sector.

4. St.Joseph Oratory. Located a bit away from downtown but easily accessible by metro. This is another must see if you are into cathedrals.

5. Mary Queen of the World Cathedral. Located downtown, this cathedral is modelled after St. Peter's in Rome, but at 1/3 the scale.

6. Mont Royal. Definitely try to get to the summit for Mont Royal for a spectacular panoramic view of the city.

7. Olympic Park. Site of the 1976 Olympic Games, it is the site of the world's tallest inclined tower and also home of the Biodome, a natural science pavillion.

8. Ile Ste-Helene. Manmade island that was the site of Expo '67. A nice place to spend a leisurely afternoon.

9. Definitely try out the various cafes and bistros in Old Montreal as well as in the Plateau area.

There is much more in Montreal that you can see but the list above is a good place to start.

Hotels wise, here are some places that are nice but not overly trendy:

1. Hotel Place D'Armes (Old Montreal) -- highly recommended and good prices too.

2. Hotel Le St-Sulpice (Old Montreal) -- good prices and located right beside Basilique Notre-Dame.

3. Sofitel Montreal (downtown) -- upscale French hotel chain.

4. Loews Hotel Vogue (downtown) -- in the heart of the shopping district.

Hope this helps to get you started. If you are looking for more information or if you have something more specific in mind, feel free to e-mail me at emmanuel.chan@sympatico.ca.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been

You might also find the Canadian Center for Architecture interesting. It's pretty interesting if you are into that.

For food, try L'Express, 3927 St Denis St. It's my favorite bistrot, as bella knows.

You would probably enjoy walking on St-Denis and surrounding. Explore Carré St.Louis and Laval street nearby. Then walk up St-Denis, north of Roy Street. Walk up to Mont-Royal, then turn right towards the Mountain (you will see the Olympic Stadium tower on your left). Walk up to St. Laurent and turn left on St. Laurent. Explore the furniture stores and multi ethnic shops.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been

I think you got pretty useful info from MB and Gros. If you stay at Du Fort Hotel, the Canadian Museum of Architecture is right behind it and the hotel area is within the Museum Quartier. Du Fort Hotel is not so expensive av. rate is around $180 plus taxes per night. If you are tight on budget you may try Inn Tourist, two blocks east of Du Fort on Ste. Catherine street and you might get a room around $100 plus taxes its a very small hotel but very centrally located with clean rooms, attached toilets and showers, nice balcony on Ste. Catherine street.

Ps. life begins at 40 so 30 is quite young!