We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis in Old Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Topic
Taxis in Old Montreal

Hi I read that there are not many cabs in Old Montreal due to small streets etc. I'll be staying near Chinatown (Place-d'Armes) so I do not want to walk to Old Montreal at night. Will I see any cabs cruising around Chinatown or Old Montreal? I would think that there would be a lot since there are many tourists and possible drunks. I would also think that calling for a cab would be a pain...or do they usually come quickly? Do the cab drivers give an attitude when taking such a short fare? Thanks!

Toronto
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis in Old Montreal

lot's of cabs specially on the main arteries. They criss cross old montreal and you dont have to go far to get to a main artery/street. (2 minutes). Where you are staying is very walkable to OLD Montreal (5-10 minutes)... not really worth a cab. You dont have to worry about walking about and around... safe safe safe! The cabbies will take you anywhere... long or short.

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis in Old Montreal

Thanks! Yeah,the walk looked pretty short on Google. I just wasn't sure what it was like at night. Plus it's nice to have the cab option since I plan on enloying quite a bit of Canadian beer / biere!! I appreciate the reply.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis in Old Montreal

Taxis aren't that tough to find in Old Montreal. There is also a taxi stand quite close to Notre Dame Basillica so you should have no problem.

JDP

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis in Old Montreal

Thanks. Guess I was just being a little naive. Read to much into "few taxis".

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis in Old Montreal

You will have problems to find taxis on Saint-Paul street for many reasons:

-the street is not wide

-it is covered with cobblestones

-It is where most restaurants and bars are located

But if you are in that area and don't want to walk back then you just have to walk on nearest parallel street, De-la-Commune, and you shouldn't have any problems finding one there.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis in Old Montreal

Let me add that Rue St. Paul is the main street in Old Montreal and you don't find many taxis on it, in part because a portion of it becomes pedestiran only in the summer. But walk over to Rue St. Laurant, one of the main boulevards intersecting Rue. St Paul, and head up towards Rue Notre Dame and you'll find a taxi quickly.

JDP

7. Re: Taxis in Old Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:41