We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

student protests in downtown core

toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
student protests in downtown core

We are driving through montreal this weekend and I want to know what is happening in the downtown core? we want to eat at shwartz deli but have to continue on towards quebec city the next morning. Is it ok to stay on sherbrooke or would we be better near airport?

Thank you

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: student protests in downtown core

Yes, stay in the downtown core or wherever you like. The protests make great news, and they show the most shocking images, but for the most part they're just people marching and shouting slogans, so blocked traffic but that's about it.

For a recent discussion about it, see this post: tripadvisor.ca/…40198831

There's also a bit of a conversation at the end of page 6 on this very long but wonderful post: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155032-i51-k533871…

Edited: 12 May 2012, 05:57
toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: student protests in downtown core

Thank you for your reply.

kansas
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: student protests in downtown core

what are they protesting? Are they paid protesters like in the US, that do not even no what they are protesting? In the US, some of us wonder what has happened to hard work, responsibility, and take the opportunity given to all of us and strive to do something with it. Sympathy for the protesters is waning--get a job! Do they tear things up? Hassle people? I have read on this site about protsting going on for months.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: student protests in downtown core

I don't want to give you a course in Quebec history; this situation is more complex than what you describe and goes back to what happened 50 years ago as wells as a number of other factors. Having said this, I dont support the "strike".

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,922 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: student protests in downtown core

What goes back 50 years Platipus? Now I am confused.

The students (lets not call them striking as they do not have a job that they are striking from) say they want to have free education in University, that is all I have ever heard. The Quebec government is raising the tuition fees, gradually over five years, and they are unheppy. Despite our post secondary education being the cheapest in Canada.

I also am not in support and I still have two kids to get through school.

But as to the effects. Son did get stuck on the metro on Thursday am with that incident. I was downtown and on ST Laurent on Thursday pm, I saw very little of any excitement, but there was a heavy police presence and we did see some demonstrators.

You will be totally fine to do the things you planned, enjoy your finner.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: student protests in downtown core

Have they definitely linked the metro smoke bombs to the students? If so, that is a real concern for visitors as we often comment on how terrific the Montreal metro is.

As an outsider I have no views on the pros/cons of the strike/boycott. But if I were the Montreal Visitors Bureau, or something similar, I 'd want to see this over with ASAP.

JDP

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: student protests in downtown core

Again, i don't want to give you a course in Quebec history; read about la revolution tranquille, it did start more than 50 years ago.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: student protests in downtown core

Well for the first time all the students associations denounced the gaz thing. The police had surveillance photos of all the 4 individuals that did it and had them be published in newspapers. The last I heard all 4 of them just finally went to the police themselves.

The 4 were in the bracket age to be students but no more is known at the moment. Every level of government + the college and universities want a big crackdown on this kind of behavior now. I think that the four went to the police in hope of cutting a deal and not get jailed. Might not work at this point.

Well the situation will probably change dramatically as many college and universities are now looking at cancelling the whole session. Then students will have to get summer jobs and probably everybody will be a bit more level headed by the end of summer.

As per Platipus' reference of 50 years ago it is actually 44 years ago: May 68! Does that ring a bell to anybody? Well in the US it was almost exclusively focused on anti Vietnam War but it was different in other countries and particularly in Québec due to the close ties with France. The kind of situation with students boycotts, (ahem strikes) went through until the mid 70s. So the ones that went through university or college during that period are now parents or grandparents of the current generation and many are somewhere nostalgic (ahem again) of the old days!

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: student protests in downtown core

Rick, the date is not 1968. Folks, go back to your history books! Ever heard of la commission parent? In any event, historians go back to the end of the duplessis era as the beginning of la revolution tranquille, which I g other things, led to an education reform. This is the genesis of all of this. In Quebec, we dont need to hire demonstrators, the labor unions take care of it an they do a very good job given that the government abdicated.

PS: I am not that old, I just know my history better than most.

Edited: 12 May 2012, 20:48
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
411 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: student protests in downtown core

I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. We were just there 2 weeks ago and the protests didn't really cause us any disruptions on the Metro or elsewhere. Most of the protests were later at night and only in certain areas. Go and enjoy your time in Montreal, its a great city.

Edited: 12 May 2012, 21:20