We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

36 hours in Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
36 hours in Montreal

Maybe the New York Times was feeling a little guilty about publishing the commentary on the student protests because here, from their Travel section, is their weekly 36 hours segment, this week

thttp://travel.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/travel/36-hours-in-montreal.html?hpwime in Montreal

If I screwed this up, as I'm apt to do, please go to the Times on line at nytimes.com and head to the Travel section.

Looking forward to your commernts.

JDP

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 36 hours in Montreal

Working link: …nytimes.com/2012/…36-hours-in-montreal.html .

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 36 hours in Montreal

Thanks for the link, JDP. In order for a link to work, you just make sure there is no letter immediately before "http..." (in this case the letter "t" made the link unworkable) and a space right after the end - if you type any punctuation after, without a space, that would also prevent the link to work, like:

…nytimes.com/2012/…36-hours-in-montreal.html. Does not work.

…nytimes.com/2012/…36-hours-in-montreal.html . Does work

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 36 hours in Montreal

Hehehe... well, they're making up for it rather nicely, I'd say.

Edited: 15 June 2012, 22:52
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 36 hours in Montreal

Eirelover, thank you for the tip. I'm an idiot when it comes to those things but I will try to do better.

Tristou, I couldn't wait for your comment. Please elaborate more. rickb and Platipus,where are you?

JDP

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 36 hours in Montreal

Where am I? I am in the office earning $ so that the government can tax me and pay for all of the expenses created by the student protest. I was in NYC last week end and miss the city.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 36 hours in Montreal

You know what I mean, your comments on the article. You miss NYC? Yes there is nothing quite like it, and for that matter I feel the same about Montreal also.

JDP

PS, can you pay a bit more in taxes so I can get my GST and PST back like I used too at the border :)

JDP

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 36 hours in Montreal

I don't have comments. My opinion of the ny times went down with the prior Quebec article, it was worthy of the ny post. The wsj is a much better newspaper.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 36 hours in Montreal

To elaborate: well, I generally don't find this type of travel article interesting (I prefer more reflections on society and less a list of bars and restaurants the reviewer visited), but they did better research than most and hit many places I like, although I've never heard of the portuguese section of Saint-Laurent referred to as Little Lisbon before. Having been to Portugal and watched some workers installing the square cobblestones (which are acually quite long and pointy-shaped and driven into the ground), and seen huge plazas with wavey patterns, I appreciate the little Portuguese park there much more.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 36 hours in Montreal

I never seen "Little Lisbon" refered to either in any travel guide so that was new, but it also makes me want to explore that area a little more.

I also liked the reviews of the Chinese restaurants

Like the 36 hours in Quebec city a few months ago, at least this offered places the travel guides ignore which I think often turn out better than the ones the guides do recommend. I'm certainly looking forward to visiting some of them.

JDP

10. Re: 36 hours in Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:16